Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering and going dark to bright

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch from 2014 and started having screen issues last night. After about a minute the screen starts to flicker a little bit then it gets darker then brightens up again. During the time when its dark and them bright it freezes and I cannot move my mouse.

I reached out to Apple support and they had me do a few things. One was to reinstall the latest OS. Once that was done it seemed to work fine. I plugged my macbook in to charge since it was low from the update. Now when I turned it on the screen is doing the same thing again after about a minute.

My question is, my charge cord is fraying where is connects to the charging block that plugs into the wall. I have to move it around a little to get a good connection to actually make it work. I used that charger after I got my computer working again, could that be causing this issue?

I actually ordered a new power cord yesterday and it will be here tomorrow. If that is causing the issue, I can certainly re-install the OS again.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

John

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 5:52 AM

jrflat wrote:

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch from 2014 and started having screen issues last night. After about a minute the screen starts to flicker a little bit then it gets darker then brightens up again. During the time when its dark and them bright it freezes and I cannot move my mouse.

I reached out to Apple support and they had me do a few things. One was to reinstall the latest OS. Once that was done it seemed to work fine. I plugged my macbook in to charge since it was low from the update. Now when I turned it on the screen is doing the same thing again after about a minute.

My question is, my charge cord is fraying where is connects to the charging block that plugs into the wall. I have to move it around a little to get a good connection to actually make it work. I used that charger after I got my computer working again, could that be causing this issue?

I actually ordered a new power cord yesterday and it will be here tomorrow. If that is causing the issue, I can certainly re-install the OS again.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
John

I suspect the two are not related...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Service Program—

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 5:52 AM in response to jrflat

jrflat wrote:

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
John

I suspect the two are not related...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Service Program—

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Screen flickering and going dark to bright

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.