Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I call someone from my iPhone, caller ID shows my husband's name and not mine

My husband and I both have iPhones. 1 apple ID two different phone numbers. Why when I call someone his name comes up as the caller on there TV / Answering machine etc.. screen and not mine?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 8:22 AM

The caller ID is provided by your carrier, it does not come from your phone. This means that your carrier has his name on your phone number. Call the carrier to get this fixed, or you may be able to fix it in their web portal.

As a separate issue, you should not have 1 Apple ID; you should each have your own. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 8:22 AM in response to morrisfromflint

The caller ID is provided by your carrier, it does not come from your phone. This means that your carrier has his name on your phone number. Call the carrier to get this fixed, or you may be able to fix it in their web portal.

As a separate issue, you should not have 1 Apple ID; you should each have your own. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

Oct 7, 2022 8:20 AM in response to morrisfromflint

A: Stop sharing an Apple ID. Doing so is a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, cross contamination will cause one or both of your to lose data.

B: The name that comes up could be caused by the sharing of the ID, IF the person being called has one or both of you in their contacts. More likely, it’s because that’s the name your cellular carrier has associated with that number in their system.

Contact your cellular carrier to have that changed.

When I call someone from my iPhone, caller ID shows my husband's name and not mine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.