Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Email not sending on iPhone

Hi, I am having a very big problem with the mail app in iOS 16. I have two emails set up and when I reply to a email, it can’t send, it just goes straight to my outbox and a error message says server not found. I tried everything, I looked to see if my server for the emails is turned on and it is and I also re-added my two emails again and it still did not fix the problem. I did not change anything about my two emails since I had iOS 15. In iOS 15, did not have these problems but now I do. This is definitely a iOS 16 problem.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 4:47 AM

I’m having similar problem on both iPad and iPhone after updating to iOS 16. When I send an email reply, I hear the swoosh but the email never gets sent. It just disappears. Sometimes it shows in my sent inbox, but the original email I’m replying to doesn’t show the arrow on it indicating that I have replied to this email.

172 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2022 4:47 AM in response to Metro287

I’m having similar problem on both iPad and iPhone after updating to iOS 16. When I send an email reply, I hear the swoosh but the email never gets sent. It just disappears. Sometimes it shows in my sent inbox, but the original email I’m replying to doesn’t show the arrow on it indicating that I have replied to this email.

Nov 15, 2022 5:57 PM in response to rkrim

I am having the same issue, oddly with both AppleMail, Gmail AND Outlook. I feel like I am going crazy as I reply to an email, hit send, hear the swoosh and assume the mail was sent. Days later, when I never hear from the person, I go to sent mail and there is not even a trace... and it's not in drafts either... just completely gone and never sent. I feel like I am going crazy, as I know I replied and hit send. It's infuriating and has caused a number of issues with my work (outlook account).

Nov 21, 2022 4:57 AM in response to JovonaP.

It's not about being able to send emails or not, it's about emails that have been sent but once you leave the app and return to the app the email does not exist anymore, it is not in the sent folder, and the recipients have not received it. It is as if the email was never tight, sent or existed .

Every time I speak to Apple Support about this, it comes as a totally new issue for them as if they've never heard of it before, yet there are so many people complaining about the same thing.

Support for this issue does not exist and Apple/iOS is getting worse by the day

Oct 8, 2022 2:55 PM in response to Metro287

Hi Metro287,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you've done a great job trying to resolve this issue on you own. The remaining steps in the following resource can help with sending emails: If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue persists, let us know if this also occurs when sending emails from your email provider's website. Be sure to include specific error messages and any other steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Nov 26, 2022 3:33 AM in response to PhilCarlyle

Frustrates the f*** out of me that when you speak to Apple support they know nothing about it and come up with inane and hopeless suggestions on what to check etc instead of dealing with the software issue that they are not allowed to admit!

Apple has rapidly gone downhill over the past 3-4 years. My friend's Samsung knocks my iPhone into last century. Dictation is accurate, keyboard typing is accurate, spell check is helpful, not ridiculous "phailia" (WTF...??) and the camera on the Samsung just blows me away. It's stunning especially in low light/nighttime. Why do we persist with Apple phalias!

Nov 3, 2022 7:11 AM in response to sridhar292

With the new 16 iOS update, there is a five second lag between hitting the send on an email and the email actually being sent. When you go back to your email list after hitting send you will see on the very bottom of your iPhone “undo send“. If you don’t know that that is there it’s very easy to hit it and delete or unsend your email

Oct 26, 2022 7:42 AM in response to Metro287

Metro287,

To clarify, are both of your email addresses through the same provider? Knowing that will help work out if contacting your email service provider is the best path forward, or if there are other steps we can recommend.

Also, to confirm, have you updated to iOS 16.1 yet? If not, we recommend backing up and updating as that can help clear up general issues: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Take care.

May 30, 2023 7:07 AM in response to Marcin-app

::sigh:: DON’T SWIPE UP TO CLOSE THE EMAIL APP JUST AFTER SENDING. Advice that has been posted many times in this 8 page thread. iOS 16 has added a feature that lets you change your mind after hitting send; it holds the message for a period of time that you can set. If you force-quit the app before it sends the message is lost. If you don’t want this feature you can turn it off, but it is on by default.

In general, you should NEVER force quit any app unless it isn’t working; force-quitting slows down your phone and uses more energy than just letting it sit suspended, ready to restart. PLEASE read this→Do not close "background" apps | Communities.

FWIW, I have over 100 apps in the quick-launch app.

Jul 1, 2023 8:31 AM in response to BcnPhil

BcnPhil wrote:

Just found this thread: I've had the same problem with one of my email system in iPhone's 'Mail' ever since I upgraded to iOS 16.5.1, which simply sends my emails to 'Outbox' and it stays there; I have 'Delay Sending' switched off. I have iOS 16.5.1 on my iPad and the same email system in 'Mail' sends no problem at all, with exactly the same credentials: most odd and REALLY infuriating!

Your issue has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Your symptom means that the settings for your outgoing mail server are corrupted, or the outgoing password (which may or may not be the same as the incoming) is wrong or missing. If you recently changed your email password you missed the outgoing mail server.

The easiest way to fix it:

• Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts and tap on the account, then remove it
  • Restart your phone
  • Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts and add the account back

Jul 25, 2023 10:32 AM in response to churchie70

churchie70 wrote:

Similar issue. However it "sends", I hear the swoosh. it disappears, But then it is not in the sent folder, not in the drafts, not in the outbox, no where, and I follow up with intended recipients, they didn't get the email. this seems to happen more with forwarded and replied emails than new created but happens with all. this is a HUGE issue especially when work time related emails... claiming "but I sent the email!!!"

I’ll assume you didn’t read the thread you posted to, so I will summarize it.

1. If you are in the habit of force-closing mail, don’t. Or if you absolutely insist that you must for some reason that goes far beyond the recommendations of Apple’s engineers not to, leave mail open until the “undo” send times out (default: 10 seconds)
  2. If you still must force-close mail and can’t wait 10 seconds after sending, go to Settings/Mail, scroll to the bottom, and set Undo Delay to None.

Email not sending on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.