📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I play movies on DVD on USB SuperDrive on my MacBook Pro?

The topic should really be about my USB SuperDrive, but I didn't see it listed in peripherals. I just got a 2022 MacBook Pro, but my USB SuperDrive is 4 or 5 years old. My brother sent me a DVD and it doesn't automatically play but shows folders with more folders inside the folder. Is there a problem with the hardware or is there a possibility to play the DVD on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 16″, 12.6

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 2:19 PM

28 replies

Oct 10, 2022 8:51 AM in response to LadyCarina

You said that at one point you could review the structure of the DVD (the audio and video directories, and the VOBs). If that's right, you're close: a DVD is just those files and can be played if the files can be read. Can you try launching DVD Player directly yourself, from Spotlight? How about your CD & DVD preferences--how are those set, in System Preferences? (They appear only when a DVD drive is connected.) What about information that appears in "Disc Burning" in System Information (Spotlight again, or Option-click "About This Mac" on the Apple menu)--does that indicate that your drive is connected?

Of course, it could be anything--optical media is famously finicky--but it does sound to me like a simple configuration problem. I can't think of any obvious incompatibility on the hardware side, although I suppose you could try plugging the "Superdrive" into a powered hub to try and rule out a power issue that is somehow unique to modern Macs. If you've been using this for years, you're really limited to testing whether it reads other discs, but if you're not interested in buying more hardware, I really can't suggest anything else.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2022 6:15 AM in response to LadyCarina

Hello LadyCarina,

The Apple USB SuperDrive is compatible with Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive. Therefore, you should be able to play the DVD. Do you experience the same behavior when you try another DVD?

If so, test the issue in a brand new admin user account (do not use an existing test user) as shown here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. This will help isolate what might be causing the issue.

Let us know the results.

Cheers!

Oct 9, 2022 1:20 PM in response to LadyCarina

Hello LadyCarina,

Thanks for updating us with that information. If you've already worked directly with Apple, we'd recommend following any suggestions provided by them.

We would recommend confirming the SuperDrive is connected with an appropriate adapter to see if that could be what's contributing to this. Check out the details below, and you can find more details here: How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Connect and use your SuperDrive

To use your SuperDrive, connect it to a USB-A port on your Mac, then insert a disc. Make sure that the aluminum enclosure of the SuperDrive is facing up.

To connect your SuperDrive to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac, you can use one of these adapters:

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter

USB-C to USB Adapter

We hope that is able to help.

Take care!

Oct 14, 2022 9:24 PM in response to LadyCarina

LadyCarina wrote:

It is a Apple external CD/DVD player. I've heard that the 2021 MacBook Pro may not be compatible even though the USB SuperDrive is only 4 or 5 years old.

I’m fairly sure the drive is working, based on what you’ve already told us.

I have inserted DVDs both ways. No errors appeared, but the disk either ejects or when I click on the USB SuperDrive it opens and shows two files: a sound file and a video file. Logically, I selected the Video File which opened to many other files. I've heard the movie DVD should open automatically to select play and start viewing the movie, but that is not the experience I've been having.

Does DVD Player app work?

DVD Player app is part of macOS.

Launch it.

It is described here: DVD Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2022 12:51 PM in response to karina184

I just got a new MacBook Pro which says it is 2021 and has a lot of storage. The USB SuperDrive is a 2017 or 2018 device that plugs in to my computer. The DVD is one that my brother sent me and appears to be professionally made. I have no idea whether it has an optical drive or not. I did try a Disney movie made by 20th Century Studios, but it doesn't play either and the USB SuperDrive immediately 'spits it out.' With the other DVD, there are two file folders: one labeled audio and the other labeled video. I selected video and there's like 21 file folders in there. I selected Video VOB, but says it can't be converted. I did speak with a Creative Media Apple Rep and he indicated perhaps my new Mac is not compatible with the USB SuperDrive. I was just hoping there was something to make the movie play. I don't know if you have any further thoughts--please let me know.

Thank you!

Oct 9, 2022 12:55 PM in response to babowa

It appears to be a professionally made DVD, but not by Hollywood Moviemakers. Subsequently I have tried a Disney movie also, but either my Mac or the USB SuperDrive rejects the latter completely. Another respondent indicated along with a Apple Rep that my Mac and the USB SuperDrive may not be compatible even though I just got my Mac and the USB SuperDrive is maybe 4 or 5 years old. I'm not sure if I have very many options or not if it isn't compatible.

Oct 9, 2022 1:26 PM in response to LadyCarina

If you or a friend have a regular stand alone DVD player (maybe hooked up to a TV), try playing the DVD there.

I don't think it's a question of your super drive not being compatible - I think it has to do with the DRM/copyright protection. To test your super drive, try to play a DVD with a homemade movie or some other content (photos or a slideshow). It that works, there is nothing wrong with your super drive.

The only other posssibility is that both DVDs are from a different country/region. Did you get a popup saying you need to change your region?

Oct 9, 2022 6:21 PM in response to babowa

I actually just purchased a new DVD player since my old equipment was rather antiquated and now my DVDs play well. A Apple rep seems to think that my USB SuperDrive may not be compatible with my new 2021 MacBook Pro. A rep at Best Buy seems to think that the USB SuperDrive could acquire a software update which seems odd to me. Certainly when I plugged it in and tried to check within the Apple in corner or through the app store I'm not seeing the possibility for a update. In regard to your question about a popup asking about a change of region--that doesn't occur--no popup of any kind. I tried to open QuickTime Player and open the movie in the CD/DVD player and it was not successful. Perhaps I will try to see if it will play a CD or if I can save musical content to a CD to see whether it works or not. My USB SuperDrive is 4 or 5 years old and would think it is still usable. I also looked at new USB SuperDrives at Best Buy and they are twice the price of what I paid in 2017 or 2018. My USB SuperDrive is gently / hardly used so a bit surprising I can't play the movies I've tried thus far. Also, it seems it is odd that a peripheral device could require a update. I don't have a Apple Store close to me, but the Best Buy Geek Squad is willing to give it all a try if I bring all of my devices in. Time is a factor, of course and if they arrive no further than what I've tried then it comes down to buying another device or not. Perhaps you have more insights to share. At this point, I did get a new DVD player to use with my TV and it does work. I would love for my USB SuperDrive that I have now to work, but I'm not inclined to spend $100.00 for a new USB SuperDrive. I apologize for so much information.

Oct 9, 2022 8:44 PM in response to LadyCarina

Another thought is: does your new computer the new M1 chip? I don't have one so I cannot test, but it could possibly be a compatibility problem with your super drive. The new OS versions also have a different filing system which is not necessarily compatible with some older devices. And, those players or drives sometimes do need a firmware update; I used to have a player that did need one. There are just too many possible scenarios - the best way is to test any/all different ways with different equipment, media, etc. And, in my (limited) experiences with Best Buy, I'd verify anything they tell me. And, I've never cared for slot loading players as they are not all that reliable (my experience includes two failed super drives until I bought a tray loading device - not that cool looking, but it's reliable and reads anything).

Oct 9, 2022 9:36 PM in response to babowa

My MacBook Pro indicates it has a Apple M1 Pro Chip. As for being able to test or check about an update to improve the USB SuperDrive; I am at a loss as to how to do that. I have had my SuperDrive plugged in any of the various ports and checked under the Apple Icon as well as in the App Store. I don't know what I might be missing. I have the latest update software on my laptop, but have no clue how to update my CD / DVD player. Both an Apple rep and Best Buy Geek Squad rep have cited the possibility of incompatibility and or bringing my devices in to Best Buy for them to troubleshoot. I appreciate any further thoughts and recommendations you might have. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2022 2:57 PM in response to sgucukoglu

I have tried other movie disks and no luck with either disk. I was told by a Apple Rep that the movie should start immediately. Someone mentioned trying to open QuickTime and trying to open the file and that didn't work either. I just got a 2021 computer recently, so it is totally up to date. I haven't tried recording, but I'm going to try doing that and also see if I can try what you have suggested to see if it will work. I've heard of spotlight, but don't think I've ever used it with my previous two MacBooks. Then again, I may have used it and didn't realize it. Thanks for these suggestions.

Oct 14, 2022 8:39 PM in response to karina184

I have gotten a lot of different replies and read a number of different related Apple links from changing regions up to five times to changing settings which seemed vague and not particularly informative. Long story short, I'm unable to play any movie no matter the source on my laptop with the external USB SuperDrive. I have no desire to try and record a movie to a disk. However, even when I try to record my own pictures or music I have or bought to CD or DVR I'm either unable to record it and if I do manage to record music CDs; I'm unable to play it on my independent CD stereo player that isn't on my laptop. I'm only able to play on my laptop which is pointless since I have playlists or independent folders with my purchased and saved music. It really isn't worth my time to try to record photos to CD anymore since that doesn't seem to work and just saving to two external hard drive seems to be what works best. Certainly I might not know and missing something where that works. Since Apple took away the CD/DVD on laptops it seems the external CD/DVD drives are not especially effective with some functions or perhaps my CD/DVD device was defective and I was none the wiser. The whole experience has been especially disappointing and unfortunately all of the recommendations I have received have not been effective. No doubt all have been well-intended. Maybe there is still something I'm missing or I'm not doing right or perhaps my external CD/DVD player was defective, but I'm late in the game to try to do anything about it. I do appreciate everyone trying to help.

Can I play movies on DVD on USB SuperDrive on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.