You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Microphone only works with Siri (all OS versions)

My Mac internal microphone was working fine then stopped working

then I discovered by accident that it is working perfectly with Siri.

When Siri is active I can see the microphone level in audio preferences working as normal.

I have all permissions for other apps set correctly.

the mic works perfectly in Siri so its not a hardware issue.

I have done all the normal trouble shooting, tried new user account etc

I am on Catalina but I think this is an issue with all OS versions as it has been this way for over 2 years now.

(I had accepted it to be a hardware issue until I realises it was working fine in Siri earlier today)

any body else have this issue?

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 2:38 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 8, 2022 2:59 AM in response to PRP_53

Input tab,

when set to: External Microphone - (work normally when mic plugged in)

when set to : System Sound Device (problem exists)

inPut level: does not do anything, no reaction while talking (Works correctly while Siri is actively listening)

adjusting output volume does nothing, check/uncheck "mute" does nothing. (Both work correctly while Siri is listening)

Oct 8, 2022 3:05 AM in response to Gameznet

1 - Reset the SMC of your Mac and perform this action 3 consecutively

2 - Reset NVRAM on your Mac and perform this action 3 consecutively

3 - Plug and Unplug the external Microphone several time . Sometimes the computer may become confused which Microphone to use as Sound Input

4 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

iMac Microphone only works with Siri (all OS versions)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.