Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Absurd behaviour of Activation Lock on my 2019 16” Intel MBP

Hello, Apple community,

This is my first post here. Unfortunately. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro 16” Intel i9 with Catalina installed - at least I guess so, because I can’t review it at the moment.

Thing is, I have bought my MacBook second-hand approximatelly a year ago and everything was working fine until a few days ago. My MacBook had suddenly turned on at night into Recovery Mode, which I have encountered at the morning when I got up.

There was this globe on the screen and it demanded a wi-fi, so I wrote that down and Recovery Mode had started. Then it demanded an Apple ID and this is the point when it got really weird (except the fact the device had turned itself on at night, lol).

It demanded (and still demands) from me “the last ID that was previously used on this Mac”, which is, indeed and in fact, my Apple ID starting with the letter “f”. The computer asks for a different ID starting with the initial letter “t” as in “t*****@gmail.com” instead. Funny stuff about this part is that I can see from my iPhone that my MacBook is linked to my ID, even though it says it wants a different ID.

I also tried to use the device password, but due to the fact i was stressed out and did not notice different keyboard settings than I’m used to (I’m Slovak), I entered it too many times incorrectly.

I also tried to erase the mac, tried to boot it in the Recovery Mode, Disc Mode, every possible mode available, but the computer acts like nothing happened and still demands that mystery ID starting with T.

And yes, I have contacted the previous owner, he’s communicating and saying he didn’t activate that computer and, at his side, is nowhere to be seen - which I find possible, because, well, I SEE THAT BLOODY THING AS MINE IN MY APPLE ID MENU ON MY IPHONE. I have also the reciept, a box and everything, that computer is absolutely mine.

So, to sum this up:

• my Mac randomly booted into Recovery Mode at night all by itself
  • Now the device asks for a different Apple ID even through I can see my device being linked to my Apple ID
  • The device is stuck on the Activation Lock
  • Everything I do, it still boots into the Activation Lock first

Don’t you anyone know what could happen? And how I can get rid of this problem?

And… Will I ever again see my data? It is just absurd. I did not do anything bad and it just self-destructed itself overnight, together with my work and data. It’s not nice.

Sending screens of my Mac and my ID Menu.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 9:39 AM

The key to solving your problem is in the last line of that screenshot: That Mac is already linked to another Apple ID — apparently, the previous owner's Apple ID.

The only way to fix it is to contact that previous owner and have him or her properly prepare that Mac for sale according to What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

Those steps are not optional. Your Mac will not be usable until its previous owner accomplishes them.

And… Will I ever again see my data?

Yes, provided you created a Time Machine backup or the equivalent while you were still able to use that Mac. If you did not, no. Selling a Mac requires that it be erased prior to selling it, and that's what its previous owner needs to do with it now.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Sklobeton

The key to solving your problem is in the last line of that screenshot: That Mac is already linked to another Apple ID — apparently, the previous owner's Apple ID.

The only way to fix it is to contact that previous owner and have him or her properly prepare that Mac for sale according to What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

Those steps are not optional. Your Mac will not be usable until its previous owner accomplishes them.

And… Will I ever again see my data?

Yes, provided you created a Time Machine backup or the equivalent while you were still able to use that Mac. If you did not, no. Selling a Mac requires that it be erased prior to selling it, and that's what its previous owner needs to do with it now.

Oct 8, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Sklobeton

This is what should have been done at the time of the purchase of the used Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

It appears that the previous owner did not deactivate fully his/her Apple ID,

t*****@gmail.com

Or he/she is not being honest with you. An activation lock is something that can be implemented remotely. Anyone with access to his/her Mac or other Apple device can activate that, if it is still linked to that Apple ID.

This is a 2019 T2 MBP which has very robust security. Everything is encrypted. It will be hard for you to get past this. Have the previous owner log into his/her Apple ID online and remove the device from his/her Apple ID, to start. That might fix it.

If you have a proof of purchase, someone at the Apple Store might be able to help you. But these security processes are set up to prevent anyone stealing a Mac from using it. Obviously you did not steal it, you purchased it, but because it is still linked to the other Apple ID, those protective measures automatically activate.

Apple devices can be linked to more than one Apple ID. There might have been an anomaly inside the Mac causing the recovery mode behavior overnight. Normally, one simply reinstalls the MacOS and your files are all still there. However if the previous Apple ID is still linked, that can interfere.

Hopefully not, but you may need to eventually erase the disk, which may require help from Apple, and restore your files from a recent backup.

Note added: I see John Galt posted while I was typing. I think our comments are consistent.

Absurd behaviour of Activation Lock on my 2019 16” Intel MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.