Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch no longer unlocks iMac

I know this has been asked and answered before, but since they were older posts, I thought I would ask again. I just updated my iPhone to iOS 16.0.2 and my Apple Watch Series 5 to WatchOS 9 and it no longer will unlock my M1 24" iMac running MacOS 12.6. It has worked fine in the past before the update, so I assume it has something to do with that. Everything is still logged in to the same Apple ID account and logged in on the the same WiFi and Bluetooth. Is anyone else having this issue and have you been able to fix it? I don't know if we have to wait for a MacOS update or not. Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 3:21 PM

First try a normal restart and if still problem try a forced restart:

Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I have found out that I have to frequently do a forced restart of the watch before I can successfully x the box in Security and Privacy Setting that allows watch to unlock the Mac.

If your box is checked try restarting the Mac and if still problem uncheck and try rechecking.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 3:21 PM in response to mb34

First try a normal restart and if still problem try a forced restart:

Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I have found out that I have to frequently do a forced restart of the watch before I can successfully x the box in Security and Privacy Setting that allows watch to unlock the Mac.

If your box is checked try restarting the Mac and if still problem uncheck and try rechecking.

Oct 8, 2022 10:35 AM in response to mb34

P.S. The iMac initially pops up a message that it looks for the watch, but then switches to asking for a password or TouchID. I do have TouchID set up, my job and hobbies cause a lot damage in the way of dry cracked skin on my fingers and the TouchID doesn't stay set very well. I have to regularly reset it.

Apple Watch no longer unlocks iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.