Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone compromised/now possibly ipad

Hi, so I got an email from (fake PayPal/pretty sure) saying I’d successfully purchased 500 in bitcoin and it’d be taken out of my account within 12 hours. I FREAKED, as I’m on a fixed income, etc.

the email included a phone number to call in the case that it was not purchased by me, for a refund. So, me being slightly de decompensated, called the number, in a panic. First, I should’ve known it wasn’t really PayPal because I’m pretty sure they’re not nearly as rude.

Next thing I know, they’re asking me to look under legal, blah blah on my phone and had me tell them the list of countries that were listed. There were several listed, and she. Said those are all the countries that are currently accessing my iPhone.

STUPID me, in my panic…god I’m feeling so ridiculous for falling for this! But she told me I needed to download some app that eventually tried getting remote access. It never ended up looking like it totally worked, but now, I’m pretty sure it did.

I soon hung up with her, deleted the app, but since then, I’ve been getting messages from Microsoft giving me a one time access code that I never asked for. It just happened again last night…so I panicked, went and downloaded Norton protection with a vpn for my phone.

It didn’t find anything wrong but I’m quite SURE I am compromised! And also my iPad because it’s doing odd things too-such as apps constantly crashing, battery draining like a sieve, and of course, that Microsoft one time access code coming to my iPad’s messages too.

I’m not rich, I’m not even near the top of the poverty line. If I go into the Apple store is it going to cost me an arm and a leg? And/or was downloading Norton enough?

if not, suggestions please?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:17 PM

Hi Writemind,

We understand that you are worried regarding your device and Apple ID being compromised. Take a look at these articles for steps if you believe your Apple ID is compromised and what to do if you receive a phishing message.

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Have a nice day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 1:17 PM in response to Writemind

Hi Writemind,

We understand that you are worried regarding your device and Apple ID being compromised. Take a look at these articles for steps if you believe your Apple ID is compromised and what to do if you receive a phishing message.

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Have a nice day.

iPhone compromised/now possibly ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.