📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many failed password attempts allowed

How many failed password attempts are allowed before iPhone is permanently locked? I just entered the incorrect password again, and I had to wait 1 hour before trying again. I haven’t tried a new attempt because I’m worried if I get it wrong, I won’t have another chance. so Im wondering how many tries I have left.

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:45 PM

Salutations mirian_, 

Typically it’s 10 attempts before you device becomes disabled. However, you don’t have to wait through all of them to go ahead and erase your device to remove the passcode. The following articles go over how to do that. You will need a computer, unless you were running iOS 15.2 or later and your device is connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network. 

If you forgot your iPhone passcode

How to remove your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch passcode without a computer

How to reset your device
If you're using an eSIM, contact your carrier before trying these steps and ask for a QR code to set up your eSIM again.

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try entering your passcode until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later. When you're able to, continue trying to enter your passcode until the "Security Lockout" screen appears and you get the Erase [Device] option in the bottom corner of the screen.
2. Tap Erase [Device], then tap Erase [Device] again to confirm.
3. Enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID on your device.
4. Tap Erase [Device] to permanently delete all of your data and settings.
5. When your device restarts, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device again, restore your data and settings from a backup, and set a new passcode.
6. You can only reach the "Security Lockout" screen if you previously enabled Find My on your device. If you can't follow these steps, you can use a computer to reset your device.

Thanks. 

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2022 1:45 PM in response to mirian_

Salutations mirian_, 

Typically it’s 10 attempts before you device becomes disabled. However, you don’t have to wait through all of them to go ahead and erase your device to remove the passcode. The following articles go over how to do that. You will need a computer, unless you were running iOS 15.2 or later and your device is connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network. 

If you forgot your iPhone passcode

How to remove your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch passcode without a computer

How to reset your device
If you're using an eSIM, contact your carrier before trying these steps and ask for a QR code to set up your eSIM again.

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try entering your passcode until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later. When you're able to, continue trying to enter your passcode until the "Security Lockout" screen appears and you get the Erase [Device] option in the bottom corner of the screen.
2. Tap Erase [Device], then tap Erase [Device] again to confirm.
3. Enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID on your device.
4. Tap Erase [Device] to permanently delete all of your data and settings.
5. When your device restarts, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device again, restore your data and settings from a backup, and set a new passcode.
6. You can only reach the "Security Lockout" screen if you previously enabled Find My on your device. If you can't follow these steps, you can use a computer to reset your device.

Thanks. 

How many failed password attempts allowed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.