Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is error 4042 when trying to restore iphone - apple logo blinking on and off when connected to outlet?

Symptom: At first my phone screen was completely black. then I plugged it into a charger from an outlet and the apple logo would appear than disappear. Then I tried all the 'fixes' to upgrade and restore through itunes. no help at all. Being a computer geek by trade, looking at the symptoms and what little information I could find about what can prevent an iphone from rebooting I took a guess that it was the battery or the port. Turns out it was the battery. So if you are having this issue, I would suggest first calling around to see what repair places charge to replace a battery ( I paid $25 to have an iphone 6s battery replaced) and then going to the one that is reasonable. FYI - they might try to tell you it's not the battery like I was told, but ask if they can at least attempt the battery install. If it's not the battery, they can take it right back out and if they charge you anything at all it shouldn't be more than $5 to test out the theory. however, it could very well fix your problem. I couldn't get any answers from apple support and most iphone fix it places was telling me the phone was dead, there was problems with some chips, the circuit board was bad, etc.... Hope this helps some of the people who like me was banging my head against the wall trying to find a solution.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 6:49 PM

As I said in my original post, I tried resetting and restoring in UDF mode, but neither option worked because the problem is that the phone is attempting to reboot and can't. When the iphone is connected to a charger that is on a wall outlet, the apple logo comes on (attempting to start/boot) and then disappears (can't start). One of the most common causes, if it's not a software problem - which itunes would have fixed in theory - is a bad battery. Once the battery was replaced, my phone functioned fine. I only posted the above here because so many people seem to be having the same issues and getting no help. So to recap, try the optoins in video above - if it works, then the problem was softare. If it doesn't, then try a battery next. If that doesn't work, then there are some other more serious hardware issues.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 6:49 PM in response to SravanKrA

As I said in my original post, I tried resetting and restoring in UDF mode, but neither option worked because the problem is that the phone is attempting to reboot and can't. When the iphone is connected to a charger that is on a wall outlet, the apple logo comes on (attempting to start/boot) and then disappears (can't start). One of the most common causes, if it's not a software problem - which itunes would have fixed in theory - is a bad battery. Once the battery was replaced, my phone functioned fine. I only posted the above here because so many people seem to be having the same issues and getting no help. So to recap, try the optoins in video above - if it works, then the problem was softare. If it doesn't, then try a battery next. If that doesn't work, then there are some other more serious hardware issues.

What is error 4042 when trying to restore iphone - apple logo blinking on and off when connected to outlet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.