Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV constantly hangs on Samsung Tv

Hi. I can’t seem to watch the Apple TV app on my Samsung smart Tv. It constantly freezes and then goes to a “Video Unavailable” screen.

This isn’t a problem with the internet or Tv, I have no problem watching other apps like Disney+ on it.

I can’t seem to be able to delete and reinstall the app, but I’ve tried to reset it with no luck.

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:01 PM

Hi, I'm having the same freezing/buffering issue on a Samsung Smart TV with Apple TV pre-installed. Last week I activated a free trial and it worked fine for a few days, now every time I use it it freezes and usually at the same points of the shows. Then no other shows/films will play past the initial advert. The TV OS is up to date, my broadband monitor shows no loss of signal, ect. The app is set to update automatically as far as I can see. I've tried holding the TV power button for 5 secs to cold boot it and the app starts working again, but stops within 15-20 mins. I can watch the shows on my laptop without freezing, just not on the TV.

Any other ideas would be really helpful, thanks.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi, I'm having the same freezing/buffering issue on a Samsung Smart TV with Apple TV pre-installed. Last week I activated a free trial and it worked fine for a few days, now every time I use it it freezes and usually at the same points of the shows. Then no other shows/films will play past the initial advert. The TV OS is up to date, my broadband monitor shows no loss of signal, ect. The app is set to update automatically as far as I can see. I've tried holding the TV power button for 5 secs to cold boot it and the app starts working again, but stops within 15-20 mins. I can watch the shows on my laptop without freezing, just not on the TV.

Any other ideas would be really helpful, thanks.

Oct 10, 2022 1:31 PM in response to Whtrz

Something is causing the app to be unable to contact the remote servers.

See if this document has clues that apply to your situation: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

“Video not available” may mean no valid reaction from the remote server.

1. Verify that your router doesn’t block Apple’s servers (or its CDN) through a firewall setting.
  2. Verify that your router doesn’t block ports that Apple services like to use.
  3. Verify that you use a good DNS on your router, like the one from your ISP, which gets updated with all server names that Apple might use.
  4. Verify that your Samsung TV has the correct date and time and timezone, as Apple may be more strict about that (TLS) than other content providers.

Else

1. Check for Tizen OS software updates.
  2. Check for Apple TV app updates, if not set to do so automatically.
  3. Try resetting the Apple TV app.
  4. Try deleting and re-installing the Apple TV app. That option may not be available for pre-installed apps.
  5. See: An app is not working on my Samsung TV or projector - Samsung Support

Apple TV constantly hangs on Samsung Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.