Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zsh Terminal [Process Completed] Error, out of memory

On MacBook pro M1 Mac. When I open my terminal I get zsh [process completed] error. This error persists on new tab and doesn't go away after doing shell hard reset.

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 8:31 AM

Just to add, for the benefit of the OP: since you can't run zsh, there are two ways you can rename the ~/.zsh_profile

a) temporarily change your shell to something else, like bash

(better yet, go to preferences->profiles, duplicate your basic profile, and in that duplicate select bash as the shel;

then you can do Shell->New Window and choose that profile to open a separate window running bash instead of zsh)

b) use the Finder (probably easier) - in the Finder press Command-Shift-H to open your home folder, then press

Command-Shift-. to show invisible files.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 8:31 AM in response to VikingOSX

Just to add, for the benefit of the OP: since you can't run zsh, there are two ways you can rename the ~/.zsh_profile

a) temporarily change your shell to something else, like bash

(better yet, go to preferences->profiles, duplicate your basic profile, and in that duplicate select bash as the shel;

then you can do Shell->New Window and choose that profile to open a separate window running bash instead of zsh)

b) use the Finder (probably easier) - in the Finder press Command-Shift-H to open your home folder, then press

Command-Shift-. to show invisible files.

Oct 10, 2022 2:53 PM in response to kwstas171

I have never seen Zsh kick out an error from ~/.zprofile about an out-of-memory error because I only use ~/.zshrc and do not run anything from that dot file that would cause a gobbling of memory.

In the Terminal Preferences Profiles > Window tab, I have Scrollback set to Limit number of rows to 1,500 and do not have that set to Limit to available memory.

When the shell process is killed, you get the [Process completed] notification. This too can be controlled for when you press ctrl-D to close the Window, but not quit the Terminal:

Oct 11, 2022 7:58 AM in response to kwstas171

Try using the ~/.zshrc file with your PATH and PS1 prompt set. Just those two items. Rename your ~/.zsh_profile to zsh_profile.bak. Quit Terminal. Reboot. Launch Terminal again. If you do not get the out-of-memory error, then there was something in your ~/.zsh_profile that was borking Zsh.

If you have done the first paragraph and you still get a Zsh out of memory error, then that leaves your Terminal Preferences settings as a suspect.

Are you using the default Zsh version that was installed by macOS, or Zsh v5.9 installed via a package manager, or compiled by you from sources?

Zsh Terminal [Process Completed] Error, out of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.