Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music on usb

I made a backup of my own music from I tunes on my dell laptop

to a usb stick.

the screen on my laptop has now packed up. So all I have now is

my iPad with six albums which I purchased from I tunes.

if I buy a Mac book air can I transfer my own music from the usb to

I tunes on the Mac book air.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 3:38 PM

Hi Hawk4hunter,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

You should be able to use the files on a new Mac. However, macOS Catalina and up will be using the Music app instead of iTunes.

This page from the larger macOS Apple Music User Guide can help with importing your files: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac.

"You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it."

If you have song purchased from iTunes, they should still be available you to redownload with your same Apple ID. Here's how: Redownload music.

"Redownload music from the iTunes Store in the Apple Music app on your Mac

Before you can redownload music that you purchased from the iTunes Store, you need to authorize your Mac using your Apple ID.

1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose Account > Purchased. If you use Family Sharing, you'll see Family Purchases instead of Purchased.
  3. Find the music that you want to redownload. If you use Family Sharing, choose a family member next to Purchased to see their purchases.
  4. Click the download button Download button next to a song or album."

Have a fantastic day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 3:38 PM in response to Hawk4hunter

Hi Hawk4hunter,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

You should be able to use the files on a new Mac. However, macOS Catalina and up will be using the Music app instead of iTunes.

This page from the larger macOS Apple Music User Guide can help with importing your files: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac.

"You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it."

If you have song purchased from iTunes, they should still be available you to redownload with your same Apple ID. Here's how: Redownload music.

"Redownload music from the iTunes Store in the Apple Music app on your Mac

Before you can redownload music that you purchased from the iTunes Store, you need to authorize your Mac using your Apple ID.

1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose Account > Purchased. If you use Family Sharing, you'll see Family Purchases instead of Purchased.
  3. Find the music that you want to redownload. If you use Family Sharing, choose a family member next to Purchased to see their purchases.
  4. Click the download button Download button next to a song or album."

Have a fantastic day!

Music on usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.