Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple ID is linked to my work email and I want to move it over to my personal email, which also has an old account. What should I do?

My apple ID is linked to my work email, which has all my pictures, apps, finanace, etc attached, and so I want to change from my work email to my personal email address... however I have come across an old apple account linked to my private email address.

Can someone give advice on what the best approach to change this would be?

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:37 AM

Get another email address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo and use the steps in the article below to change the old Apple ID email address to the new email address. That will free up your private email address so you can use it to replace your work email address.

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn off Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 9:37 AM in response to con_mcg

Get another email address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo and use the steps in the article below to change the old Apple ID email address to the new email address. That will free up your private email address so you can use it to replace your work email address.

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn off Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

My apple ID is linked to my work email and I want to move it over to my personal email, which also has an old account. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.