Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail application keeps crashing on launch

Is there a way to reload the Mail Application on Mac Air Monterey 12.6?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 2:50 PM

4 replies

Oct 11, 2022 2:55 PM in response to DrJimS

No, it's not the application but probably one of the supporting files or an email.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a good boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 13, 2022 8:18 AM in response to DrJimS

Something in the mail was corrupted after trying to move/delete legacy mail messages on local. Mail kept crashing - I booted up in safe mode but that did not resolve the mail problem. It did allow me to make changes to the mail file system for my local mailboxes, which i beleive ewas the culprit of corruption. Thanks Old Toad.

I found related guidance her e- https://ladedu.com/how-to-reset-mac-mail-like-uninstall-and-reinstall/ and just renamed the mail dir in ~/library to mail.old and restarted mail app - It reloaded all my mail from comact/gmail/etc. and worked - I synced and rebuild as well. All is well except I lost some very old messages and notes on local. Thanks for those that replied.

Back in business!

Mail application keeps crashing on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.