Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display brightness cannot be changed via keys, Control Center, System Preferences, or Terminal.

This question concerns my mid-2014 Macbook Pro 11,2.

At some point late last year I updated the computer to Big Sur 11.6 from a previous version of Big Sur, and immediately noticed that I could no longer control the screen brightness via any method, and that the brightness was stuck at around 50-75%. The keyboard brightness controls don't have any effect, the brightness slider in the Control Center is grayed out, and there is no brightness control at all in System Preferences. Attempting terminal commands to change the brightness also produced no result.

-I did multiple SMC and PRAM resets.

-Reformatted the SSD and performed a clean install downgrade back to an older version of Big Sur from USB.

-Tried that again, this time also deleting the recovery partition if my memory is correct - this was in December.

-Updated back to Big Sur 11.6.

I'm attaching screenshots of what the Control Center and System Preferences show.

Nothing I've tried has had any effect, and the display brightness still cannot be controlled. The computer has sat for months now because I replaced it with a new M1 Pro Macbook Pro in December, and my old laptop became a low priority. It bothers me though to have an otherwise perfectly functional Macbook Pro that was broken by a software update. Is there anything else I can try as a computer-savvy person that doesn't involve paying for a repair at the Apple Store? (I don't know if the Apple store would even work on the laptop, as it is outdated and has had non-Apple repairs made to it in the past.) My best guess is that fateful Big Sur update last year corrupted something in the firmware, but I don't know how to troubleshoot that.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 8:47 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 12, 2022 3:20 AM in response to GreyHawkins

Does the problem also occur when you start your Mac in Safe Mode?

If it works in Safe Mode (and I think it will), that would point to some third party software conflict.

Let us know.

Also: in order for us to look for possible software causes, Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Oct 12, 2022 5:15 AM in response to GreyHawkins

The one thing that stands out from the report is this:

System Software:

macOS Monterey 12.6 (21G115)

Time since boot: About 8 hours

Boot args: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 -lilubetaall

One does not usually have any boot args at all.

Did you intentionally set those up? Care to elaborate as to what they are supposed to do, and why you chose to?

Or were you unaware of those?

Oct 12, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Those are probably related to OpenCore Legacy Patcher which I used to force the laptop to run Monterey recently, since 2014 MBPs aren't supported by that OS. I was curious if an update to a newer OS might override something Big Sur did in the firmware. I made the update to Monterey months after the Big Sur update broke the backlight brightness control though.

Before doing much digging through system logs and things of that type I will probably downgrade it back to Big Sur so there's fewer confusing things like that that come up.

Display brightness cannot be changed via keys, Control Center, System Preferences, or Terminal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.