Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System sounds stuck at *MAX volume* in iOS 16.0.2

Since the last iOS update to 16.0.2, some system sounds play at *full volume*, even though I have the volume set to very low overall:

• camera shutter click

• text messages from people I assigned a custom sound to (all other text messages are set to silent/vibrate)

• sound when phone connects to charging station

Reducing the overall sound level via hardware up/down buttons, which is enabled as a function, has zero effect on the level of these very unwelcome system sound effects. Up/down still controls general volume (e.g. speaker for music, phone calls, Google maps, video)

The only setting that still turns every sound off entirely is “silent mode” via hardware switch, but that turns off the ringtone and everything.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 8:35 AM

I found the SOLUTION, but not an EXPLANATION:

For some inexplicable reason, there was an active "Sound Recognition" icon visible in my Control Center screen. I categorically have sound recognition like Siri disabled, and wasn't even aware there was a separate function like this that can be set up in Accessibility. It was set to listen for "cat" sounds only, which I positively never set up on my own. I suspect either an invasive app being the culprit, or one of my kids is trying to prank me.

Anyway ... as soon as I turned off "Sound Recognition" entirely in the Accessibility settings (which is a LISTENING function), the SPEAKER volume control for 1) camera shutter, 2) message notifications, and 3) charging connection sounds started itself with the overall speaker sound volume.

It doesn't make sense, but it solved the issue 🤷‍♀️

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 8:35 AM in response to nvony

I found the SOLUTION, but not an EXPLANATION:

For some inexplicable reason, there was an active "Sound Recognition" icon visible in my Control Center screen. I categorically have sound recognition like Siri disabled, and wasn't even aware there was a separate function like this that can be set up in Accessibility. It was set to listen for "cat" sounds only, which I positively never set up on my own. I suspect either an invasive app being the culprit, or one of my kids is trying to prank me.

Anyway ... as soon as I turned off "Sound Recognition" entirely in the Accessibility settings (which is a LISTENING function), the SPEAKER volume control for 1) camera shutter, 2) message notifications, and 3) charging connection sounds started itself with the overall speaker sound volume.

It doesn't make sense, but it solved the issue 🤷‍♀️

Oct 12, 2022 8:17 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for the quick reply, but none of the issues above apply.

I can control my main sounds with up/down buttons and there are no sound quality issues. All phone calls/speakerphone, video sounds, etc are playing fine and can be regulated in volume as expected.

Only a few select system sounds blast in at FULL VOLUME, regardless of the overall volume setting of the phone, which I usually have at the very low end.

Oct 12, 2022 5:13 AM in response to nvony

If you have a hearing or sound issue on your device then please try some of these processes to set it right

1. If you have a distorted sound issue on your iPhone --> If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad
  2. If you are not able to hear the other person, click this...>If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't ...
  3. If you only hear through speakerphone mode --> If your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode - Apple Support
  4. If the other person is not able to listen to you then please click this to identify the issue --> If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't ...

If the above options do not mitigate the issues then Contact your carrier and then Contact Apple Support

System sounds stuck at *MAX volume* in iOS 16.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.