Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume intermittently goes down momentarily and then back to normal level on iPhone

A few months ago, the volume level on my iPhone X would intermittently go down for 20-30 seconds and then back to previous level. This occurs when listening to music, YouTube videos, podcasts, etc. I figured that maybe it was a hardware glitch due the age of the iPhone X. A couple of weeks ago, I received the new iPhone 14 Pro Max. To my chagrin, the problem continues to persist on the new phone despite being updated to the most recent iOS. I have noticed that it is a widespread problem among iPhone users, but nobody seems to have a fix for it, including Apple. I spoke with a technician last week, and she ran a diagnostic test on my phone, but found nothing. She just told me to take it to an Apple Store and let someone look at it. That’s fine, except the nearest store is around 3-4 hours away. Has anyone found a fix for this annoying problem? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 1:12 PM

If you really mean 20 seconds then it is an old chestnut if you are talking about listening on bluetooth devices..

Settings, Bluetooth, then on the device hit the (i) icon and in Device Type select "Speaker" instead of headphones.

Settings, Accessibility, AudioVisual, turn off Headphone Notifications.

If it is in reality 2 or 3 seconds, you may be getting silenced notifications that will still drop the volume for a short time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 1:12 PM in response to sim273

If you really mean 20 seconds then it is an old chestnut if you are talking about listening on bluetooth devices..

Settings, Bluetooth, then on the device hit the (i) icon and in Device Type select "Speaker" instead of headphones.

Settings, Accessibility, AudioVisual, turn off Headphone Notifications.

If it is in reality 2 or 3 seconds, you may be getting silenced notifications that will still drop the volume for a short time.

Volume intermittently goes down momentarily and then back to normal level on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.