Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I enable sound alerts for MACMail? there is no option in preferences - please advise

how do I enable sound alerts for MACMail? there is no option in preferences - please advise

Using mac OS Monterey version 12.6 - in preferences the sound option is not there to enable. The Mail preferences sound is enabled but does not seem to work. I have upgraded as far as I can and restarted a few times. Super frustrating as I work from home and rely on the tone to know when a client is e-mailing me.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:35 AM

Mail's incoming messages alert sound is controlled from the application's preferences.

If you navigate to Mail > Preferences > General

Then look down the panel to the options offered for New Messages Sound.

Are you saying that you have selected one of these sounds and it is not functioning?

You could even add some custom sounds to switch between if you get bored with those on offer. You would need to drop the audio files in a folder where Mail looks for them

From Finder's Go option in the Menu Bar select Go to Folder then paste: ~/Library/

Drop your audio into the Sounds folder, or create it if there isn't one.

Mail should then see these as described above in the app preferences.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 7:35 AM in response to Kayla6265

Mail's incoming messages alert sound is controlled from the application's preferences.

If you navigate to Mail > Preferences > General

Then look down the panel to the options offered for New Messages Sound.

Are you saying that you have selected one of these sounds and it is not functioning?

You could even add some custom sounds to switch between if you get bored with those on offer. You would need to drop the audio files in a folder where Mail looks for them

From Finder's Go option in the Menu Bar select Go to Folder then paste: ~/Library/

Drop your audio into the Sounds folder, or create it if there isn't one.

Mail should then see these as described above in the app preferences.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.