Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Way to use an old iMac as an external display for the new MacBook Pro

Hello, I was wondering what is the best way to connect an old iMac 27' Late 2012 to the new MacBook Pro 2021 and use it as an external display?

I know that this iMac has two Thunderbolt 1.0 ports on board which theoretically enables you to use a "Thunderbolt 2.0 to USB-C" cable. But I would like to be sure before buying it. Theoretically the plan looks like this:

1. Buy this baby https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?
  2. Buy this one as well to connect the iMac with the adapter: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple

This sounds realistic but I'm not sure if the adapter is able to transfer the display signal. Do you think it is a good solution or you'd recommend something else like maybe Thunderbolt->HDMI or MiniDisplayPort->HDMI?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:54 AM

VadimVasilets wrote:

Why it's not? Is it because of the MacBook that's too new for that iMac?

There are very specific requirements. Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support explains them.

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

It's no substitute for TDM but you can use Screen Sharing: Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 7:54 AM in response to VadimVasilets

VadimVasilets wrote:

Why it's not? Is it because of the MacBook that's too new for that iMac?

There are very specific requirements. Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support explains them.

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

It's no substitute for TDM but you can use Screen Sharing: Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support.

Way to use an old iMac as an external display for the new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.