Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic not registering on Finder correctly

Hi, for a while now my ipod classic (7th gen I believe) has not been connecting to my macbook (running macOS10.15.7) reliably. It started playing up when the switch from syncing in iTunes to Finder came about, but now it never connects properly. My macbook recognises it only as a USB device, and the only thing I can do is open the notes, recording, calendar and contacts folders as if it were a non-iOS drive.

Have tried resetting it, and reformatting it in disc utility, but now I just have an empty ipod that still won't connect. Also tried dumping my folder of music into it like a USB as I saw suggested in similar threads on here, but no luck there either. It does not come up in the Music app at all when connected in this 'USB' format.

iPod Classic

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 11:41 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 15, 2022 3:11 PM in response to turingtest2

unfortunately the official MFI cable has not made any difference. The ipod is still only loading as a usb drive, despite multiple rounds of resetting and reformatting. I've even tried plugging it into a PC with itunes installed to check it's not the macbook, but no luck. Would it be worth going into an apple store, or would they simply be doing the same things you have advised? Would they even still support this model?

thanks

Oct 16, 2022 2:41 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok so, all that was selected already, but I have finally solved it!

I noticed after you sent your screenshot that my iphone, while not plugged in, had been showing up under locations for quite some time (hadn't really thought about it before). When I selected it, it was unresponsive, would not eject, not loading up in finder when selected, and didn't show up in disk utility. Even switching off wifi and bluetooth wouldn't remove it. I did another restart of my mac, this time with my iphone's wifi and bluetooth turned off, and the ipod now shows up in finder properly!

Thanks so much for all the help, very relieved there's not a hardware issue with either my ageing macbook or my ipod :')

iPod Classic not registering on Finder correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.