Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Files stored on iCloud drive are duplicated on my MBP.

All Files stored on iCloud drive are duplicated on my MBP in the directory user>>Library>>Mobile Documents. If I copy this directory to an external drive then subsequently delete this directory and re-start my computer this directory will auto-refresh in its original location. How do I prevent this from happening as I prefer to store file backups on external drives to save disk space?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 3:28 PM

iCloud Drive is a synchronization service, not offline storage. Any documents you sync to iCloud will also be on your Mac. You can elect to optimize storage in iCloud system preferences. This will offload your less frequently accessed files to the cloud only.

5 replies

Oct 16, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Daily_llama

So...why am I paying for "extra" storage space on iCloud Drive when the files stored there are duplicated on my internal drive?

Seems to me that I'm paying for nothing. So I'll be removing those files [pdf's. jpegs, txt, etc] from iCloud Drive, store them externally elsewhere [Proton Drive offers 500 gb free] then downsize my iCloud Drive storage plan and save.

Thanks for the feedback again.

Oct 16, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Daily_llama

If memory serves, proton works in a similar fashion but you have to initiate the sync. I also doubt that 500 GB is free.

You may want to investigate other offline storage options. There are plenty of review sites out there that may offer guidance.

for what it’s worth, if you’re simply looking to offload files somewhere and don’t need online access or syncing, nothing beats a good old external hard drive (or two really do that you can backup too)

All Files stored on iCloud drive are duplicated on my MBP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.