Why are there duplicate files in iCloud and on MacBook Pro Hard Drive?

When I search for a folder or file, the returns indicate there's a duplicate folder or file in iCloud and another on the hard drive? Why is this? How does this happen? Is there any harm to deleting the iCloud one and just keeping the one on the hard drive?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:02 AM

JayMiller3 wrote:

When I search for a folder or file, the returns indicate there's a duplicate folder or file in iCloud and another on the hard drive? Why is this? How does this happen? Is there any harm to deleting the iCloud one and just keeping the one on the hard drive?

That is the way iCloud works. iCloud creates file synchronization across all devices accessing the iCloud account. If you delete a file on iCloud it will be deleted on all devices using that iCloud account. Turn off iCloud documents if you do not want to synchronize files. If documents were not also stored on each device then the documents would not be available to you if you did not have an Internet connection.

What is iCloud? - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 10:02 AM in response to JayMiller3

JayMiller3 wrote:

That is the way iCloud works. iCloud creates file synchronization across all devices accessing the iCloud account. If you delete a file on iCloud it will be deleted on all devices using that iCloud account. Turn off iCloud documents if you do not want to synchronize files. If documents were not also stored on each device then the documents would not be available to you if you did not have an Internet connection.

What is iCloud? - Apple Support

Why are there duplicate files in iCloud and on MacBook Pro Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.