Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro installing High Sierra disk utility shows incorrect disk size

Hello,

I am trying to reinstall High Sierra on a Macbook Pro 2010 to an SSD but when I boot from a USB stick and open the disk utility it says the SSD is only 2.01GB. in size, I tried 3 different SSDs, 64GB, 256GB and 1TB and they all show the SSD size as 2.01GB. I used Paragon Partition Manager to format the drives for Apple HFS and the disks are set to GPT. I also tried Transmac to format the SSDs to HFS but every time I boot from USB and try to reinstall the OS it shows the SSD size of 2.01GB. The computer was working fine on the original 500GB HD and was at one time running from an SSD. How can I fix this? Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 12:55 PM

Great to hear... I actually think, but do not know for sure, that HFS+ can be used for an SSD running HS... until certain changes to the EFI are done, thereafter only APFS will work without trickery.

Take care my friend! :)

Similar questions

14 replies

Oct 14, 2022 10:26 AM in response to BDAqua

I just realised that what I am seeing in the disk utility is not the SSD because I booted from the USB installer without the SSD plugged into the SATA and I still see the 2GB disk under disk images. If I plug the SSD in via a USB cable I can see the SSD and it does in fact show as 253GB and if I attempt to install HS to the SSD it says the computer is missing a firmware partition.

see image

Oct 13, 2022 1:47 PM in response to BDAqua

I have 2 Macs but both have no OS at the moment so I am having to use Windows 11 to format the drives.

I have formatted for Mac OS before using Windows and it worked just fine but this time for some strange reason it will not work.

Under Windows 11 I am using Macdrive software and the SSDs show as full size GPT HFS.

Does the SSD need some sort of special partitioning? and I believe it should be GPT not MBR?

Could it need to be formatted as HFS+ ? When I format using Paragon the only option is format for Apple it doesn't mention if HFS or HFS+

Thanks

Oct 13, 2022 2:23 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes im using the disk utility from the High Sierra installation USB , It was definitely formatted as HFS before when I had it working because I used Transmac software which only has HFS option to format the disk.

In the Mac disk utility all disks show as 2.01GB and the options to delete a partition or resize a partition are greyed out.

The disks show full size GPS HFS formatted when viewed in WIndows Macdrive.

Is there some setting in the Mac bios which I need to change?

If so I cannot even get into the bios.

Holding down the “Command,” “Option,” “0” and “F” keys simultaneously does nothing.

Thanks

Oct 14, 2022 10:00 AM in response to twoog

I plugged the SSD into another Macbook and formatted it, its shown as 253GB but when I plug the SSD into the Macbook Pro SATA and boot from the USB install disk the SSD is always shown as 2GB and the options to erase , restore, unmount are greyed out.

I tried 2 other SSDs to be sure it wasn't a fault with the 253GB SSD. All SSDs show as 2GB size from the disk utility.

Oct 14, 2022 11:23 AM in response to BDAqua

I formatted the SSD as APFS and now it is working fine. I know yesterday you mentioned that it may need to be APFS but I just assumed it should be formatted as HFS. Perhaps last time I installed High Sierra I used a different method of disk utility from Windows so it must have formatted it as APFS without me realising. I was confused this time by using Paragon partition manager which only has the option of formatting as Apple HFS and doesn't give any options for different Apple partition types. Anyway I have learnt quite a bit. Thanks for all your help.

Macbook Pro installing High Sierra disk utility shows incorrect disk size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.