Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing firmware partition ?

Hello recently I revived my MacBook pro 2015 and installed using internet recovery Sierra and fully updated but when I'm trying to install High Sierra I get this "computer is missing a firmware partition".So I contacted apple support and did everything they said "fully deleted and reinstalled Sierra but still not able to install High Sierra (did it quite a few times).By doing this i kinda messed up my harddrive and so I bought a ewent 3.0 ssd/hhd to usb cable and installed Sierra on a new harddrive but I'm still not able to install High Sierra any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 11:29 AM

15 replies

Oct 8, 2018 3:49 AM in response to TfromL

So guys it's been a while and guess wat i found a solution how you can install mac os high sierra or even mojave,so i had this problem that i could not install anything other than sierra because i was missing firmware partition even mojave would not work so here is a bypass you can do to install the newest version :

what you'll need :

usb drive (32gb) , 16 gb won't work.

vmware fusion

carbon copy cloner

1 :First install vmware fusion on a working mac or on a mac you want to install a new version (High sierra or mojava)

2 :Download the (high sierra or mojave app from mac app store don't open the app. close it

3 :Create a new vmware machine using the (high sierra or mojave app) (select installation file)

wait for it to fully install.

4 :Download carbon copy cloner on you're vmware fusion (high sierra or mojave ) machine

open and select to copy you're virtual machine into a usb drive or external ssd (hhd)

when it's done cloning it will ask to create a recovery partition on the usb accept and wait for it to finish.

5 :After it's all done shutdown the virtual machine and boot from you're usb (external device).

6: (IMPORTANT) If you want to install it on you're internal drive or any other hhd or sdd do this

Open carbon copy cloner and select usb as source and you're device as destination.

after it's done again it will ask to create recovery partition accept it again and you are done

THIS WORKED FOR ME IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOU'RE MAC IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY.

You have a working mac os (Mojave or High sierra on a external hhd or ssd )

Aug 26, 2018 9:43 AM in response to TfromL

1. Mac:
  2. Available: 477.66 GB (477,658,451,968 bytes)
  3. Capacity: 499.25 GB (499,248,103,424 bytes)
  4. Mount Point: /
  5. File System: Journaled HFS+
  6. Writable: Yes
  7. Ignore Ownership: No
  8. BSD Name: disk0s2
  9. Volume UUID: C735996C-8D6A-3D3D-B3AA-9C4B7EB40D81
  10. Physical Drive:
  11. Device Name: 5AS
  12. Media Name: ST950032 5AS Media
  13. Protocol: USB
  14. Internal: No
  15. Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

Aug 26, 2018 9:57 AM in response to TfromL

That is some of the information needed, and looks good as far as it goes. It shows GUID partition Map, and a Journaled HFS+ Volume, which is what is required.

But it does not show whether you have an existing Recovery HD partition, which is what may be missing. The new Install may be looking to take over the existing Recovery HD (provided it is already in place) and is not prepared to create one from scratch.

Missing firmware partition ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.