Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow download speeds on iMac

I have a 2019 27 inch iMac (specs below,) and realised recently I'm not getting the download speeds I should be on it.

I have a broadband connection that should go up to 350mbps, and all my other devices usually get speeds of around 150-250mbps over wifi.

But my iMac never gets above 80mbps, whether on wifi or an ethernet connection via powerline adapters. Strangely, the upload speed is what it should be, at 30-40mbps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for that might be causing this?

TIA!

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Running Monterey 12.5.1

iMac

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:47 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - What is the outcome when booting into Safe Mode - specifically ?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 2:47 AM in response to scoobsscoobs

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - What is the outcome when booting into Safe Mode - specifically ?

Oct 25, 2022 2:32 AM in response to scoobsscoobs

scoobsscoobs wrote:

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you for the suggestions.

I tried closing everything that was open, Avast, Dropbox, G-Drive etc. but still got the same result. Really strange as even this morning I was recording download speeds of 1-2mbps on my iMac, but over 250 on my iPhone on the same network.

I think I'm going to do a wipe and re-install of everything at some point soon so maybe that'll get rid of whatever is causing it.

Part 1 of 2

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Part 2 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Avast AntiVirus

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions

Oct 14, 2022 2:24 AM in response to scoobsscoobs

If already tried, sorry about this suggestion.

Shutdown the Devices connecting to the Router.

Shutdown the Router and pause about 1 - 2 minutes.

Restart the Router and pause as it configures and gain full functionality again.

Restart the Problematic Computer and either connect via Ethernet Cable for most stable and reliable conniption and Test the Speed again

There are may speed test websites but one I use from time to time is https://www.speedtest.net/result/8587925148

Oct 15, 2022 12:36 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the suggestion... Still the same result unfortunately, speedtest showing between 80-90mbps while in safe mode and after booting in normal afterwards.

It's not like it's not an unusable connection, I just find it strange for the speed to be so much slower on this device compared to all others in the house, especially with it being hard-wired.

Oct 25, 2022 2:23 AM in response to PRP_53

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you for the suggestions.

I tried closing everything that was open, Avast, Dropbox, G-Drive etc. but still got the same result. Really strange as even this morning I was recording download speeds of 1-2mbps on my iMac, but over 250 on my iPhone on the same network.

I think I'm going to do a wipe and re-install of everything at some point soon so maybe that'll get rid of whatever is causing it.

Slow download speeds on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.