Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ability to play lossless in Apple Music on AppleTV 4k

I have the newest version of the AppleTV 4K and was able to play lossless in Apple Music. I am no longer able to play lossless in Apple Music. I logged out, logged back in, restarted, reset X 2 and still no ability to play lossless. I reached out to Apple support and they ended up referring me to the Apple Store and they replaced my Apple TV 4k. The new AppleTV 4k will not play lossless either. I am assuming that there must be some setting or something in my set-up is preventing lossless music. The AppleTV is connected to an Onkyo home theatre through an HDMI cable.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:31 PM

In tvOS 14.6 or later, there is a setting to enable Lossless in Settings﹥Apps﹥Music﹥Audio Quality﹥.

In tvOS 16, a Lossless indicator icon is shown in the Now Playing queue in the Music app, if lossless is available for that track. In previous versions, the icon was shown with the album track listing.

Note that lossless may not be available for all music. That depends on what the artist’s record company supplied.

Note that lossless for Apple TV box its currently maxed at 24bit and 48 kHz (often 44.1 kHz) in ALAC format.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 2:31 PM in response to Lossed_Lossless

In tvOS 14.6 or later, there is a setting to enable Lossless in Settings﹥Apps﹥Music﹥Audio Quality﹥.

In tvOS 16, a Lossless indicator icon is shown in the Now Playing queue in the Music app, if lossless is available for that track. In previous versions, the icon was shown with the album track listing.

Note that lossless may not be available for all music. That depends on what the artist’s record company supplied.

Note that lossless for Apple TV box its currently maxed at 24bit and 48 kHz (often 44.1 kHz) in ALAC format.

Lost ability to play lossless in Apple Music on AppleTV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.