Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound sounds horrible since downloading latest software

My apple TV is set to automatically updated. Now the sound sounds worbly and cyborg like when using apps. All apps - even Apple+. I have a third gen Apple TV and same issue. When I unplug the Apple TV and use my TV's versions of the all the apps, sound is fine. In fact - sort of makes me wonder why I have the Apple TV in the first place now that I'm using my smart TV as it was designed. Apple, are you on top of fixing this??

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:39 PM

You didn't specify if you had tried connecting the ATV with a different HDMI cable and other ports on the TV. As for TVOS 16, I am using the same software without issue and this is the first report I am seeing of this. You had mentioned that the issue was also present on a 3rd gen ATV, and that is using completely different software (with no recent update) so that does indicate that it may not be the software. If you have any other devices to test that can also help to narrow things down.

This site is a user support community so Apple will not be reading anything here. As I said I'm not seeing anything to indicate a software issue, but if you want to address this with Apple (who may also have other ideas for troubleshooting) then you can contact their support.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support (CA)

Apple TV - Official Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 2:39 PM in response to flaminglips

You didn't specify if you had tried connecting the ATV with a different HDMI cable and other ports on the TV. As for TVOS 16, I am using the same software without issue and this is the first report I am seeing of this. You had mentioned that the issue was also present on a 3rd gen ATV, and that is using completely different software (with no recent update) so that does indicate that it may not be the software. If you have any other devices to test that can also help to narrow things down.

This site is a user support community so Apple will not be reading anything here. As I said I'm not seeing anything to indicate a software issue, but if you want to address this with Apple (who may also have other ideas for troubleshooting) then you can contact their support.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support (CA)

Apple TV - Official Apple Support

Oct 14, 2022 1:12 PM in response to vazandrew

Not sure exactly what the issue is, except we haven't changed anything in probably the last 7 or 8 years. Same sound-bar speaker. Same TV. We upgraded to a 4th generation ATV about 4 months ago and haven't had any issues until a week or two ago. Things I've tried:

• unplugging the speaker and using bluetooth (still has the issue)
  • trying other apps on ATV (still has the issue)
  • Using the TV speaker (still has the issue)
  • Reseting the ATV, Router and modem (still has the issue)
  • trying different sound settings and bit rates (still has the issue)

The only thing that resolves the issue is not using the ATV, and since it was fine just a couple of weeks ago, seems like software would be to blame? The latest release was OS16 on September 12th 2022. Do you happen to know where to post something for Apple to see? I can't find the right place on their site.

Oct 14, 2022 11:02 AM in response to flaminglips

The 3rd gen does not run TVOS and it's last firmware was released in Sept 2021. So if the same issue is encountered then it could indicate something else going on. I can also confirm that such an issue is not present on my ATV 4K, and have not seen other reports like this. You may want to try a different cable and ports. Be aware that auto update pushes the new version later so always worth a check to ensure it is on the latest version of TVOS. Lastly, this is a user forum so you are not addressing Apple here.

Sound sounds horrible since downloading latest software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.