Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+ (on Apple TV 4k 2021): no more sound on episode change

already posted months ago (here)

called Apple Support and been guided through many troubleshooting steps (including a full factory reset)... to no avail

was told, in the end, to wait for a firmware update (don't remember which version was back then) and... that did indeed *mitigate* the issue (but it never went completely away)

now on tvOS 15.2 it is fully back: watching anything on Apple TV+ is a nightmare (when the above happens I must exit Apple TV+ app then "restart" it. often I must do this two or three times)

everything's fine in any other app/platform: Netflix, Prime Video, RaiPlay, Plex, YouTube... you name it!

TV is a Sony KE-48A9

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:32 AM

What is your audio setup?

If you use the built-in stereo speakers of the TV, then set Apple TV to stereo.

If you have an audio system with 5.1 speakers, then set Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1.

If you have an audio system with PCM Multichannel support, then set Apple TV to ‘Auto’ format.

If you have an audio system with PCM Multichannel and Dolby Atmos MAT support, then set Apple TV to Auto and Atmos.

Adjust other audio settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

I realize that this doesn’t address the episode change, but one shouldn’t skip the audio system in analyses either.

The issue that you face seems quite rare, so I think the issue is probably related to something unique in your setup or settings on Apple TV box or any of the other connected devices.

Have you tried if it behaves differently when connected to a different TV?

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 5:32 AM in response to plsvn

What is your audio setup?

If you use the built-in stereo speakers of the TV, then set Apple TV to stereo.

If you have an audio system with 5.1 speakers, then set Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1.

If you have an audio system with PCM Multichannel support, then set Apple TV to ‘Auto’ format.

If you have an audio system with PCM Multichannel and Dolby Atmos MAT support, then set Apple TV to Auto and Atmos.

Adjust other audio settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

I realize that this doesn’t address the episode change, but one shouldn’t skip the audio system in analyses either.

The issue that you face seems quite rare, so I think the issue is probably related to something unique in your setup or settings on Apple TV box or any of the other connected devices.

Have you tried if it behaves differently when connected to a different TV?

I hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2022 11:25 PM in response to Urquhart1244

ok, so... set Apple TV's sound output to "Stereo" (disabling Dolby Atmos) and all went fine, yesterday evening, watching 2-3 Foundation episodes one after another

weird as... I checked: my Sony KE-48A9 does support Dolby Atmos!

on the occasion I also changed Apple TV's locale to Italian (was set to English UK, as in every Apple device I own) and this *might* have also helped (I often noticed, previously, a small lag before sound starting when resuming a paused playback)

will try reverting to English and see if this actually has/had any impact

Jan 10, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Urquhart1244

forgot to post here: yesterday I tried setting my TV's audio to "Dolby" (whatever it means. default was "Standard"), setting back the Apple TV to Dolby Atmos and... all went fine: watched two/three The Morning Show episodes without glitches

so the issue was either with the above or... with having different languages set on the Apple TV: one for UI and another for movies/shows

Apple TV+ (on Apple TV 4k 2021): no more sound on episode change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.