Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone Showing the Wrong Phone

My son, wife, and myself share an apple account. However, my wife’s phone is showing up as my son’s in Find My iPhone. The fix is unclear and a search isn’t showing it. Please provide a link to the help page for this issue.

iPhone SE

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 4:24 PM

If you are all using the same Apple ID then the location of that ID is being used by your son's iPhone. Only one iPhone can be used for location with an Apple ID. If you look in the Me tab in Find My you will see in My Location (iOS 16) the at the location is being shared from either "This iPhone" or on another iPhone it will display the name of the iPhone in command of the location.

Apple does not recommend different people using the same Apple ID. If you want to keep your locations separate you will need to create separate Apple IDs.

See

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Manage and use your Apple ID - Apple Support

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support - in this document note specifically the advice:

Avoid sharing an Apple ID

Apple recommends that you do not share your Apple ID. Instead, set up Family Sharing so that each person uses their own Apple ID. This way, your family can share purchases, subscriptions, and more without sharing personal information like email, text messages, or passwords.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 4:24 PM in response to doctorcorey

If you are all using the same Apple ID then the location of that ID is being used by your son's iPhone. Only one iPhone can be used for location with an Apple ID. If you look in the Me tab in Find My you will see in My Location (iOS 16) the at the location is being shared from either "This iPhone" or on another iPhone it will display the name of the iPhone in command of the location.

Apple does not recommend different people using the same Apple ID. If you want to keep your locations separate you will need to create separate Apple IDs.

See

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Manage and use your Apple ID - Apple Support

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support - in this document note specifically the advice:

Avoid sharing an Apple ID

Apple recommends that you do not share your Apple ID. Instead, set up Family Sharing so that each person uses their own Apple ID. This way, your family can share purchases, subscriptions, and more without sharing personal information like email, text messages, or passwords.

Find My iPhone Showing the Wrong Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.