Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This does not show any screen shots and is confusing. I have downloaded a video and edited in IMovie, but can't find the file and can't import it to YouTube. I am totally confused

I downloaded a video from iPhone and edited it with iMovie. Now I cannot find where the file resides or how to save to a folder or export to Youtube. Totally confused with this. Where can I find the files and then move the around?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 3:47 PM

Hi, David,

I'm not understanding what you mean when you say "I cannot find where the file resides or how to save to a folder or export to Youtube". When you say "file" do you mean the original media that you imported into your iMovie project? Do you want to save your original media to a folder?

To export your project click on the little export button (the square with the upward pointing arrow in it) located in the top right of your screen. A dialogue box will appear with export options that looks like this:

To export to You Tube click on the You Tube & Facebook item.

To export your project as a movie file, on your desktop or elsewhere, click on the Export File button. As an alternative way of uploading to You Tube, you can drag the exported movie into You Tube's upload window.

If you downloaded your source media directly into iMovie, the source files would be located in the Original Media folder of the iMovie Library. To reveal the Original Media folder for your project select a clip in the timeline or the media browser and do a File/Reveal in Finder. An Original Media folder will pop up showing as highlighted the file name of the clip that you selected. The folder will display the file names of the other clips in the project as well. To get them to a folder on your desk top copy them (option-drag them) to your desktop or do Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste.

-- Rich.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2022 3:47 PM in response to David 7495

Hi, David,

I'm not understanding what you mean when you say "I cannot find where the file resides or how to save to a folder or export to Youtube". When you say "file" do you mean the original media that you imported into your iMovie project? Do you want to save your original media to a folder?

To export your project click on the little export button (the square with the upward pointing arrow in it) located in the top right of your screen. A dialogue box will appear with export options that looks like this:

To export to You Tube click on the You Tube & Facebook item.

To export your project as a movie file, on your desktop or elsewhere, click on the Export File button. As an alternative way of uploading to You Tube, you can drag the exported movie into You Tube's upload window.

If you downloaded your source media directly into iMovie, the source files would be located in the Original Media folder of the iMovie Library. To reveal the Original Media folder for your project select a clip in the timeline or the media browser and do a File/Reveal in Finder. An Original Media folder will pop up showing as highlighted the file name of the clip that you selected. The folder will display the file names of the other clips in the project as well. To get them to a folder on your desk top copy them (option-drag them) to your desktop or do Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste.

-- Rich.

This does not show any screen shots and is confusing. I have downloaded a video and edited in IMovie, but can't find the file and can't import it to YouTube. I am totally confused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.