Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers doc disappeared

A Numbers doc that I keep on my desktop and open daily just suddenly disappeared. It does not show up under "Open Recent." It is not in my trash, not on icloud and doesn't show up in spotlight. What happened? This is not okay. This means I'll have to spend hours recreating the doc. This happened one other time in December 2021 and I never found that document again.

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 11:08 PM

Sorry but nobody can really tell you why this document disappeared.

Maybe you unintentionally deleted it, renamed it, .. or what ever.

The only thing that can save you in these cases is a backup.

As a minimum you should created a monthly / weekly copy of this file in a separate folder.

I copy / rename my important files every month.

Working file is always: "File-Name, 2022-xx"

The copy will get the name of the month: "File-Name, 2022-10" when I will copy it end of October.

You don't have to keep these copies forever, you could delete some and keep only last 3 month.

In addition I run Time Machine backups every few days.

Data loss is something that will happen for different reasons, you can not eliminate it.

But you can reduce the damage with a good backup plan.

Ralf

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2022 11:08 PM in response to pochi586

Sorry but nobody can really tell you why this document disappeared.

Maybe you unintentionally deleted it, renamed it, .. or what ever.

The only thing that can save you in these cases is a backup.

As a minimum you should created a monthly / weekly copy of this file in a separate folder.

I copy / rename my important files every month.

Working file is always: "File-Name, 2022-xx"

The copy will get the name of the month: "File-Name, 2022-10" when I will copy it end of October.

You don't have to keep these copies forever, you could delete some and keep only last 3 month.

In addition I run Time Machine backups every few days.

Data loss is something that will happen for different reasons, you can not eliminate it.

But you can reduce the damage with a good backup plan.

Ralf

Numbers doc disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.