Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Import photos from iPhone

I cannot import photos from my iphone to my Macbook - Some items cannot be added to your photo library because they may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data. What Should I do to import those photos?

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 4:22 PM

Hi CindyCherry2022,

Welcome to the Apple Community :-)

Re: "cannot import photos from my iphone to my Macbook"

Wondering which method you are using that isn't working for you.

Eg: Import to Photos app:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Eg: Image capture

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac – Apple Support

Eg: Sync using the Finder

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Eg: Airdrop

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

& Etc...

Re: "unrecognizable file format" .... "What Should I do to import those photos?"

Seems your iPhone may be capturing photos in the newer, space-saving HEIC format, and / or "live" (animated) photos,

and

your Mac may be used to importing in the older .jpeg (or. jpg) format.

If this is what's happening:

You. might want to browse through Apple Support's articles for a choice of ways how to "harmonise" things

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

eg: you might want to change settings so iPhone uses the older jpeg format so all photos are compatible with the Mac

or

(if not already ... maybe updating sMacOS oftware to one of the more recent versions may solve the issue.

All the best :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 4:22 PM in response to CindyCherry2022

Hi CindyCherry2022,

Welcome to the Apple Community :-)

Re: "cannot import photos from my iphone to my Macbook"

Wondering which method you are using that isn't working for you.

Eg: Import to Photos app:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Eg: Image capture

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac – Apple Support

Eg: Sync using the Finder

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Eg: Airdrop

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

& Etc...

Re: "unrecognizable file format" .... "What Should I do to import those photos?"

Seems your iPhone may be capturing photos in the newer, space-saving HEIC format, and / or "live" (animated) photos,

and

your Mac may be used to importing in the older .jpeg (or. jpg) format.

If this is what's happening:

You. might want to browse through Apple Support's articles for a choice of ways how to "harmonise" things

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

eg: you might want to change settings so iPhone uses the older jpeg format so all photos are compatible with the Mac

or

(if not already ... maybe updating sMacOS oftware to one of the more recent versions may solve the issue.

All the best :-)

Cannot Import photos from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.