Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photos from iPhone

After installing iOS 16 onto my iPhone 8+, I cannot upload any photos onto my Mac iOS 10.14.6 because I keep getting the message, “Cannot import items because they may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data.”  

I was always able to import every photo BEFORE installing ios 16. 

How can I begin uploading all those photos into my Mac “Photos” app?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:08 AM

On your iPhone go to Settings>Camera>Formats and make sure "Most Compatible" is checked. It may be that the new iOS on your phone is using a format that your older Mac OS doesn't understand. This will fix new pictures you take to make them compatible.

Then go to Setings>Photos>Transfer and make sure that "Automatic" is checked, since the originals may be in an incompatible format.

Let us know if this works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 9:08 AM in response to nlc2

On your iPhone go to Settings>Camera>Formats and make sure "Most Compatible" is checked. It may be that the new iOS on your phone is using a format that your older Mac OS doesn't understand. This will fix new pictures you take to make them compatible.

Then go to Setings>Photos>Transfer and make sure that "Automatic" is checked, since the originals may be in an incompatible format.

Let us know if this works.

importing photos from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.