Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop MacBook powering on by touching any key?

I got a new MB Air with M2 Chip and now it gets powered on by touching any key, even just by opening the lid.

Can any one guide me how to stop this as often it is a nuisance.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 4:42 AM

Hey! This is a great feature.

I am glad Apple understands that when I shut down my MacBook I don't really want to shut down my MacBook. And even if I did, how would I know to turn it back on again? It's not like there is some dedicated "power on" button. It would confuse my little brain. I mean what would you do with a MacBook that's shut down anyway? Clean it? Pfffff.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 4:42 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Hey! This is a great feature.

I am glad Apple understands that when I shut down my MacBook I don't really want to shut down my MacBook. And even if I did, how would I know to turn it back on again? It's not like there is some dedicated "power on" button. It would confuse my little brain. I mean what would you do with a MacBook that's shut down anyway? Clean it? Pfffff.

Oct 17, 2022 4:53 PM in response to leonbakhan

Hi leonbakhan,

That is normal for the newer MacBooks.

You cannot disable this feature.

Even if the MacBook is powered off via the power key/button, it will instantly wake when a key is pressed, the trackpad is clicked, or the MacBook's lid is opened from being closed.

If you'd like, you can submit feedback regarding this here: Product Feedback

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

how to stop MacBook powering on by touching any key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.