Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular function on Apple Watch

When I am away from my iPhone, my cellular watch won't connect to calls unless I manually go to the settings and turn off wi-fi, even if I am not near my home wi-fi. Is there a setting to make it automatically switch to cellular when I have left my phone behind?

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 6:25 PM

When I am near my home, the wifi icon is on, even if the signal is too weak to actually connect a call. I have to manually go in and turn off the wifi and then try the call again, once cellular connects. It "works," but it often takes two attempts to answer the call. When you say the watch can use a Wi-Fi network to send and receive data, do you mean my own network? Sometimes it works properly but I thought it would be more seamless.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 6:25 PM in response to Bill_T1

When I am near my home, the wifi icon is on, even if the signal is too weak to actually connect a call. I have to manually go in and turn off the wifi and then try the call again, once cellular connects. It "works," but it often takes two attempts to answer the call. When you say the watch can use a Wi-Fi network to send and receive data, do you mean my own network? Sometimes it works properly but I thought it would be more seamless.

Oct 17, 2022 6:05 PM in response to ChulaVJudy

Hi ChulaVJudy,

From the site Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby:

"When your iPhone is off or out of range, your Apple Watch can use a Wi-Fi network to send and receive data. Your watch can also connect to a cellular network if it's a cellular model. And if you've set up an Apple Watch for a family member, they can use a cellular or Wi-Fi connection with their watch.

When your Apple Watch is connected to Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon appears in Control Center. When it's connected to cellular, the cellular icon appears."

Are you able to confirm that the cellular icon is not displaying during the situations you describe? If your Apple Watch is not operating as described, it may be necessary to use Apple Support to work with AppleCare to investigate this further.

Regards.

Oct 18, 2022 7:56 AM in response to ChulaVJudy

ChulaVJudy,

Thank you for the updated information. The Apple Watch will attempt to maintain connection to a Wi-Fi signal as long as it is perceived as being strong enough for communication. If the signal is perceived to be "strong enough" it will not switch to a cellular connection, even if that cellular connection is a bit stronger. The watch can use any Wi-Fi network as long as it is one you have joined in the past and it still remembers the connection.

Hope this clears things up a bit more.

Cheers.

Cellular function on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.