Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 factor identification

So I set up my daughter in family. I have all the account restrictions set and location sharing turned on. But when I try to login to her iCloud account, it’s sends the 2 factor code to her phone. Is there a way to make it use my number instead?

thanks!

iPhone 13

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 4:41 PM

By default, codes are not sent to a cellular telephone number. That number is for backup contact. The default means of sending codes is to send codes via iCloud encrypted notifications to all trusted devices. Since the trusted devices are determined by the AppleID logged into the device, there is no way for you to receive codes for someone else’s AppleID. The whole system would be pointless if that were even possible.

So the codes will come to her trusted device(s) - those devices signed into iCloud with her AppleID. There is no way to change that default system for 2FA codes. The system is based around that concept of trusted devices and telephone numbers are only usable as backup contacts in the event a trusted device is not available. Trusted telephone numbers would be the ones your daughter has entered into her online AppleID information.

iCloud encrypted notifications are considered far more secure than SMS texts, which is why the default code system is set up that way.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 4:41 PM in response to kdub72

By default, codes are not sent to a cellular telephone number. That number is for backup contact. The default means of sending codes is to send codes via iCloud encrypted notifications to all trusted devices. Since the trusted devices are determined by the AppleID logged into the device, there is no way for you to receive codes for someone else’s AppleID. The whole system would be pointless if that were even possible.

So the codes will come to her trusted device(s) - those devices signed into iCloud with her AppleID. There is no way to change that default system for 2FA codes. The system is based around that concept of trusted devices and telephone numbers are only usable as backup contacts in the event a trusted device is not available. Trusted telephone numbers would be the ones your daughter has entered into her online AppleID information.

iCloud encrypted notifications are considered far more secure than SMS texts, which is why the default code system is set up that way.

2 factor identification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.