Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight doesn't display contacts

Hi, I noticed that for quite some time now Spotlight is unable to display the content of contact cards on Macos 10.15. Does anyone know how to fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 7:27 AM

Reboot your Mac into Safe Boot mode and try the same Spotlight search. Then, reboot normally, and repeat the same search to see if there is any change. Safe boot mode will take longer as there are several System housekeeping tasks being accomplished.

I just powered up a MacBook Air running macOS 10.15.7 and all security updates and got the same result as you for a Spotlight search of Contacts. All you can do after you find and click to select the contact name is to press cmd+R to open the Contacts application to that specific card information.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 7:27 AM in response to acki00

Reboot your Mac into Safe Boot mode and try the same Spotlight search. Then, reboot normally, and repeat the same search to see if there is any change. Safe boot mode will take longer as there are several System housekeeping tasks being accomplished.

I just powered up a MacBook Air running macOS 10.15.7 and all security updates and got the same result as you for a Spotlight search of Contacts. All you can do after you find and click to select the contact name is to press cmd+R to open the Contacts application to that specific card information.

Oct 17, 2022 6:44 AM in response to acki00

What happens when you enter:

kind:contact name:john

And if you see a list of John first names under the Spotlight Contact category, select the pertinent one and the scrollable contact information should be shown in the adjacent Spotlight panel.

Of course, the preceding assumes that you have selected the Contacts category in System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results panel.

Spotlight doesn't display contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.