Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

format Lacie external hard drive

I'm trying to format a LaCie 1TB Rugged Mini hard drive to my iMac. How do I format it?

iMac

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 3:07 PM

I'm running 12.6. To work with time machine in saving everything I do on the computer.

Time Machine will erase and format it APFS. All you have to do is add it as a Time Machine backup disk and Time Machine will format it. If you cannot see the drive when you try to add it to Time Machine, then you should used Disk Utility to format it as others have described.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 3:07 PM in response to BeagleBagel

I'm running 12.6. To work with time machine in saving everything I do on the computer.

Time Machine will erase and format it APFS. All you have to do is add it as a Time Machine backup disk and Time Machine will format it. If you cannot see the drive when you try to add it to Time Machine, then you should used Disk Utility to format it as others have described.

Oct 17, 2022 2:24 PM in response to BeagleBagel

I would first erase and format the drive as APFS to ensure that you've removed any software that may have been installed on the drive to make it "Mac ready"

please see Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

and then to assign the drive to Time Machine, please see Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

format Lacie external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.