Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speech to Text

Can someone please help me change the settings in my speech to text… All of a sudden it is adding commas and periods to where it thinks my sentences need them. ☹️

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 10:03 AM

Hello MakeItSoNumberOne,

To turn off punctuation being added to dictated text, these steps from Dictate text on iPhone should help:

As you speak to insert text, iPhone automatically inserts punctuation for you. You can insert emoji by saying their names (for example, “mind blown emoji” or “happy emoji”).
Note: You can turn this setting off by going to Settings  > General > Keyboard and turning off Auto-Punctuation.

Turning this off should stop the commas and periods being added. Of course, you will need to add them yourself.

Have a good day.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2022 10:03 AM in response to MakeItSoNumberOne

Hello MakeItSoNumberOne,

To turn off punctuation being added to dictated text, these steps from Dictate text on iPhone should help:

As you speak to insert text, iPhone automatically inserts punctuation for you. You can insert emoji by saying their names (for example, “mind blown emoji” or “happy emoji”).
Note: You can turn this setting off by going to Settings  > General > Keyboard and turning off Auto-Punctuation.

Turning this off should stop the commas and periods being added. Of course, you will need to add them yourself.

Have a good day.

Nov 25, 2022 7:13 PM in response to MakeItSoNumberOne

I am having this problem also, and it’s driving me crazy. It is adding commas all over the place. If it can’t be done correctly, then they need to eliminate this feature in a bug fix. Mine has also been doing something where when I tap the microphone button, it duplicates what I just dictated and pastes it in at the end.

I spend 2 to 3 times what it takes me to send a message to correct all of the problems with the dictation right now. It’s also can’t tell proper usage of it’s vs. its, their vs. they’re, were vs. we’re. Apple needs to get some actual English grammar professionals to work on this problem.

It wouldn’t let me post the picture for the Shatner comma, meme, but you might look it up for laugh. And see, it just inserted a comma where it didn’t need to be! It’s also been de-capitalizing letters at the beginning of sentences. It will dictate the entire sentence, then IT will go back and screw things up and make them wrong—doesn’t matter if I used speech-to-text or typing the message. I don’t know what’s changed, but something’s happened for the worse.

It is also is way more sensitive and picking up voices in the background and trying to add them to my messages. It’s never done that in the past.

Nov 25, 2022 8:17 PM in response to katkramer

I just found out from a couple emails in my inbox that my original posts were removed almost immediately after I posted them. I thought it was a glitch in the app, but apparently they were being removed because I made comments about a policy or feature. It will not let me remove any of my posts from this thread. Although the William Shatner meme really does illustrate the problem well.

I do have a legitimate issue with the commas, which is why I posted on this thread. I do find it frustrating to have to correct every single message that I dictate because of this new “feature,” in addition to some other issues with speech-to-text. I have been able to use this feature well for years, but something has changed in this iOS update that is making it not work correctly. I don’t know how to communicate that to Apple, but there is a problem.

Speech to Text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.