Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac 27” running slow?

I know my late 2012 iMac 27” is like 100 in computer years, but if I can make modest investments in this machine and get it to last a few more years I will.  I’m willing to wait a few extra minutes for it to start up, open files etc, but lately it has become impossibly slow, like spinning the beach ball for new safari windows, any time I right-click, lagging behind typing etc. I want to understand why computer runs slowly when its performance numbers don’t seem to be stressed.

Some questions:

• Does the activity monitor really show valuable information? my CPU (2.9GHz quad-core i5) is almost always 90% at idle, it won’t even use all of the upgraded RAM i’ve given it (24gb) I realize there are more factors than these, but will need to be enlightened.
  • My older machine is no longer compatible with the newest OS X. (I’m running 10.15.7)  Is this what will ultimately make my machine obsolete?
  • The only performance metric that I can see being maxed out is the hard drive, which sometimes shows it reads/writes volume pegged.  The recent performance degradation however is not necessarily when the hard drive is extremely busy.  Would it do me any good to install a SSD?
  • Would a faster processor (I realize this would mean a new computer) really do me any good if mine claims to be loafing along all the time?
  • If the graphics card could be to blame, is this something that a reasonably handy person could DIY? I understand the card is replaceable on my machine.  I’ve replaced iPhone components etc, so am not a total newbie to working on electronics.

The Specs:

(27-inch, Late 2012)

2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

My 1Tb SATA disk is just over half full

As I type this (on the native Notes app) the beachball of doom spins for 30 seconds at a time.  Clicking away from notes to Safari, or another program often puts me back in the game.

I’m looking forward to the responses and to learning.  Thanks for sharing your expertise. 

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 9:07 AM

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 18, 2022 10:34 AM in response to Hulaballoo

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac? If you have download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Why is my iMac 27” running slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.