Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 iMac 4K 21.7" running slow on basic functions

I have a 2017 21.7" Desktop (4K) that was purchased near the end of 2017 that has never really run correctly. On login and anytime it is trying to load an application it takes a few seconds of a spinning wheel to get loading. It isn't a deal breaker but significantly slows me down over the long run when trying to work on it for a day.

I've tried a number of options to speed it up including:

• Checked activity monitor and force quit anything that didn't seem relevant
  • Turned off all login items
  • Cleared unnecessary cache files
  • Reset PRAM and SMC

I understand this computer has the most basic hardware that an iMac can come with, but with Intel Core i5 3 GHz + 4 cores + 8GB memory the hardware is an upgrade from my MacBook pro with Intel Core i5 2 GHz + 2 cores + 8GB memory. I'm also only doing basic email and web browser functions on the desktop computer vs. running adobe memory heavy applications on the Macbook and still finding the desktop is much much slower to react.

Is it just that the display and size of the display requires greater hardware than the Macbook?

Here is the etrecheck report:

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 9:47 AM

You restarted less than an hour before running EtreCheckPro. Run it for several hours as you normally would, and then run another EtreCheckPro Report.

As mentioned, the much slower 5400rpm HDD in the iMac versus the SSD in the MacBook is a notable difference.

5 replies

2017 iMac 4K 21.7" running slow on basic functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.