Slow iMac - anything I can do?

I’ve attached my Etrecheck report. I know my iMac is getting on a bit but I have a MacBook of the same age with lower specs which still runs fine. Apple support have gone through some troubleshooting, making sure my disks have been repaired and reinstalled the OS but it still seems to be using a lot of RAM without anything open, making it really slow to open and use apps. Apple have suggested booking it in store for someone to look at but I wanted to get your opinions on my report first. TIA

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 4:50 PM

Welcome to the forums!

This is the root cause of your slowness:

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

Apple fitted underspec, slow 2.5-inch laptop-class mechanical hard drives to entry-level 21.5" iMacs between 2012 and 2019. They do not seem to play well with newer versions of macOS.

This is reflected in your drive's scores:

Performance:

System Load: 1.50 (1 min ago) 1.56 (5 min ago) 0.94 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 2.86 MB/s

File system: 43.74 seconds

Write speed: 73 MB/s

Read speed: 67 MB/s

The best that drive model can do is only about 80MB/sec so your is within normal speed range.. We have a geriatric entry-level 2011 iMac that does 110MB/sec! Go figureIf your MacBook Pro is a Retina model. it has a solid state drive (SSD) that can be as much as 20-25X faster than your iMac's pokey hard drive.

The single most cost-effective way to improve the perceived performance of your iMac is to set up an external USB3 solid-state drive as the boot volume. That is outlined in this user tip:

Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community

This is an at-home task that can cost under US$100 depending on what drive you buy. You do NOT what to open that iMac model. That needs pro help and the labor charges alone in my part of the Inland Northwest of the USA is about US$160.

The most basic incarnation of that solution with give you 400MB/sec transfer rates—close to six times your current speed and ithe computer will feel like a new model.

Now, a couple of other observations:

1) Completely remove CleanMyMac using the developers' instructions. Macs, cat-like, have nee self-cleaning and self-maintaining for 20 years. IMHO, that makes apps that claim to clean you computer....well, the forum language filter won't l t me complete that sentence. Although I do not see it inyour case, I have seen EtreCheck reprot where removing CMM increased drive scores noticeably.

2) This:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

mdworker_shared (25) 44.68 % (Apple) ⚠️

EtreCheckPro 12.12 % (Etresoft, Inc.)

WindowServer 5.70 % (Apple)

kernel_task 5.60 % (Apple)

mds_stores 5.40 % (Apple)

Files starting with "md..." are part of the process Spotlight uses to index your drive. If you just restarted your computer before running EtreCheck, that high usage is understandable. If you computer has been idling for 30 minutes to an hour before the test, that is a bit high. You do not need Spotlight to index everything; it will unless you rein it it.

Use Settings > Spotlight to reduce the number of things it indexes. Example: I do not let Spotlight index emails because that is slow—even on my iMac with a fast factory SD—and the search function in Apple Mail works fine for me. So I uncheck Emails. Same with about 80 % of the items Spotlight indexes by default:

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2023 4:50 PM in response to Golden_Glow

Welcome to the forums!

This is the root cause of your slowness:

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

Apple fitted underspec, slow 2.5-inch laptop-class mechanical hard drives to entry-level 21.5" iMacs between 2012 and 2019. They do not seem to play well with newer versions of macOS.

This is reflected in your drive's scores:

Performance:

System Load: 1.50 (1 min ago) 1.56 (5 min ago) 0.94 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 2.86 MB/s

File system: 43.74 seconds

Write speed: 73 MB/s

Read speed: 67 MB/s

The best that drive model can do is only about 80MB/sec so your is within normal speed range.. We have a geriatric entry-level 2011 iMac that does 110MB/sec! Go figureIf your MacBook Pro is a Retina model. it has a solid state drive (SSD) that can be as much as 20-25X faster than your iMac's pokey hard drive.

The single most cost-effective way to improve the perceived performance of your iMac is to set up an external USB3 solid-state drive as the boot volume. That is outlined in this user tip:

Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community

This is an at-home task that can cost under US$100 depending on what drive you buy. You do NOT what to open that iMac model. That needs pro help and the labor charges alone in my part of the Inland Northwest of the USA is about US$160.

The most basic incarnation of that solution with give you 400MB/sec transfer rates—close to six times your current speed and ithe computer will feel like a new model.

Now, a couple of other observations:

1) Completely remove CleanMyMac using the developers' instructions. Macs, cat-like, have nee self-cleaning and self-maintaining for 20 years. IMHO, that makes apps that claim to clean you computer....well, the forum language filter won't l t me complete that sentence. Although I do not see it inyour case, I have seen EtreCheck reprot where removing CMM increased drive scores noticeably.

2) This:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

mdworker_shared (25) 44.68 % (Apple) ⚠️

EtreCheckPro 12.12 % (Etresoft, Inc.)

WindowServer 5.70 % (Apple)

kernel_task 5.60 % (Apple)

mds_stores 5.40 % (Apple)

Files starting with "md..." are part of the process Spotlight uses to index your drive. If you just restarted your computer before running EtreCheck, that high usage is understandable. If you computer has been idling for 30 minutes to an hour before the test, that is a bit high. You do not need Spotlight to index everything; it will unless you rein it it.

Use Settings > Spotlight to reduce the number of things it indexes. Example: I do not let Spotlight index emails because that is slow—even on my iMac with a fast factory SD—and the search function in Apple Mail works fine for me. So I uncheck Emails. Same with about 80 % of the items Spotlight indexes by default:

Jul 20, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Allan Jones

UPDATE:

I thought it would be a good idea to update for anyone having the same issues.

I bought an external drive - for reference I bought the SanDisk Extreme 1TB Portable SSD after being recommended it by someone else.

I am quite techie but I was a little anxious about installing the OS on an external in case I messed everything up but the instructions linked in Allan's post couldn't have been easier to follow and it worked perfectly.

I ran Etracheck again and the performance has been significantly improved. I haven't had any lags or crashes when trying to open apps which is a relief.

This is one reason I'd never go back to a Windows PC as tech support is awful but Apple have always been fantastic, either via Apple themselves or this community.

Apr 18, 2023 10:32 PM in response to John Galt

Clean my Mac isn’t the cause. I installed it a few months ago as I’d tried everything else to speed up my Mac. After it made no difference, I uninstalled it but I keep finding bits of it. I thought I’d got it all until I ran Etrecheck. Since posting this, I deleted the remaining bits and ran it again and it does not appear in my report any more but I wasn’t able to edit my post. Removing it has made no difference which isn’t surprising since the slowness was the reason I installed it in the first place.

Apr 18, 2023 10:36 PM in response to Allan Jones

I don’t actually have emails set up on my Mac as I prefer to use the web interface to view emails when I need to but when I’m back at the computer, I’ll have a look at what the spotlight search is indexing.

my MacBook is a retina model so that explains why it’s quicker even though it has a slower processor and the same RAM.

I’ll look into an external drive then. I know the max is basic and getting old but since I only use it for browsing and doing work on word or PowerPoint, I wasn’t expecting it to slow down this quickly.

Slow iMac - anything I can do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.