Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is very slow please help!

Hello, I have been recently having problems with my iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch 2019). The main problems are is that the iMac takes forever to start up the application after restarting and while restarting. Also, the slowness also affects my browser and it just takes way too long to process. I have been doing my research and trying to find out what the problem is but I couldn't seem to find it. I've looked into Maleware, EtreCheck, storage optimization and cleared all my cache and browser history. I will also be submitting my EtreCheck report but I'm sure it doesn't say anything of use to help me with my situation. I anyone know what is happening any help will be plenty. Thank you and have a nice day.

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:34 AM

Thank you for the due diligence of providing the Etrecheck Report and good trouble shooting on your part :-))

Agree - there is no real Software issue IMHO.

But - the Hardware comes into play. A Fusion Drive, even 7200 RPM is slower that all SSD Drives. Added is the small SSD at 28 GB.

As I see it, a possible solution is an External SSD large enough to meet your storage needs and run the OS off of the external SSD.

APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

[APFS Fusion Drive]

APPLE SSD SM0032L 28.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 6:34 AM in response to IlLuSi0n7

Thank you for the due diligence of providing the Etrecheck Report and good trouble shooting on your part :-))

Agree - there is no real Software issue IMHO.

But - the Hardware comes into play. A Fusion Drive, even 7200 RPM is slower that all SSD Drives. Added is the small SSD at 28 GB.

As I see it, a possible solution is an External SSD large enough to meet your storage needs and run the OS off of the external SSD.

APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

[APFS Fusion Drive]

APPLE SSD SM0032L 28.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Mac is very slow please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.