Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create disc space to upgrade MacOS to Ventura

At present I only have 9GB unused on my 125GB hard drive so I need to remove some files to create space for the MacOS Ventura upgrade files and for the upgrade process. Looking at the disc allocation the largest category of files are Documents and Music. I do have an external hard drive with plenty of space but I am concerned that moving either Documents or Music will delete them from the iCloud Drive, making them unavailable to my other Apple devices and, for the Music files in particular, will cause the Music app to lose all the settings. I would grateful for advice as to the best way to free up sufficient space and allow the files to be re-installed safely.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 1:00 PM

FWIW, running your Mac with only 9GB available is not a good idea, even if you weren't trying to upgrade.

See: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

and…

https://www.lifewire.com/transfer-itunes-songs-to-another-location-2438709

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 19, 2022 8:25 AM in response to gerrynuk

It is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer. and at all times.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Or Force a Reindex via Terminal Command “ sudo tmutil -E / “ without Quotation Marks 

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Create disc space to upgrade MacOS to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.