Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send a text from M2 MacBook Air to Android phones

I recently got an M2 MacBook Air to replace a 2014 MacBook Pro. I also have a 2018 Mac Mini. For some reason, I get "Not Delivered" whenever I use iMessage on the M2 Air to send a text to an Android phone. I can send the same text to the same phone on the Mac Mini, as well as my iPhone and iPad. I've checked the Preferences tabs on both the Mini and the M2 Air, and the settings are identical. Both are running MacOS Monterey 12.6.

I have no issues sending a text to other iPhones.

What's going on?

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 6:22 PM

iMessages only can be sent/received with Apple devices.

Regular text messages SMS/MMS can only be sent/received with cellular phones.

See information in: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

You can use a Mac with an iPhone (in combination) for SMS/MMS messages. See: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2022 6:22 PM in response to Burkemt

iMessages only can be sent/received with Apple devices.

Regular text messages SMS/MMS can only be sent/received with cellular phones.

See information in: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

You can use a Mac with an iPhone (in combination) for SMS/MMS messages. See: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Oct 18, 2022 6:20 PM in response to Burkemt

I suspect your iPhone may not be configured to forward text messages to your MacBook Air.

Check that iPhone's Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding. You will find your Mini and iPad there, but perhaps the MacBook Air is missing.

For reference: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Can't send a text from M2 MacBook Air to Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.