Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music jumping to the bottom of the song list

Any time I start playing a song, add a star rating, or add a track to a playlist via drag and drop, my Macbook's Apple Music app jumps to the bottom of whatever list I'm looking at, whether it's the full tracklist or an individual playlist. I've seen others post about this issue, but never seen a resolution for it.

This is Apple Music 1.2.5.7 running on Monterrey 12.6, though the issue has been going on since before these versions. I am subscribed to Apple Music, and was on Match before, for a long time.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 8:32 PM

8 replies

Oct 20, 2022 5:09 PM in response to splatugood

Hey splatugood,

If you haven't yet, let's try to reproduce the issue by testing it out under safe mode. To do this, follow the steps from the article here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to read additional info based on the results. You should see the sections that says "If the issue continues in safe mode" and "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode".

We'll be looking forward to the results.

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2022 8:10 AM in response to splatugood

Good day to you splatugood, 

Since the Music app is part of the operating system, doing a macOS reinstall is the only way to reinstall the app. However, there are a couple things you could do to continue isolating. 

First, if you open Music and launch a new library, does that behavior carry over? Switch libraries with the Apple Music app in macOS

How to switch iTunes libraries
1. Press and hold the Option key, then open the Apple Music app.
2. In the window that appears, click Choose Library.
3. Select the iTunes library that you want to switch to.
4. Click Choose.

You can also test in a new user Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Be sure you’re not importing your library files to the new user or the new library within your user, as we want to be sure we’re not bringing over any issues. However, signing into your Apple Music account and syncing shouldn’t be an issue. 

Thanks. 

Oct 22, 2022 4:53 PM in response to AnnieL2

Jut decided to purchase a new Mac. So I will be getting a fresh install of the Apple Music app.

I figure I should test the library firstly as you suggest - am I choose a years-old library for this test? No compatibility concerns? I chose one from 2017 and it then asked me to save something, which I thought was odd, so I cancelled for now...

Apple Music jumping to the bottom of the song list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.