Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watch OS won’t update to 8.7.1

I have been endlessly trying to update my Apple Watch Series 3 to iOS 7.8.1 but every time I try it says “unable to verify” because of internet connection and then it downloads and gets stuck on “preparing” i left it all night and it’s still stuck on pending. I have tried everything, I have paired and unpaired it, I have tried turning off the Bluetooth and turning it back on, I’ve reset the device, I’ve deleted the update file from storage and tried again, I’ve restarted the device and my phone several times and it’s just not happening!

please somebody help I’m at my wits end with this Apple Watch :(

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 10:37 AM

I’ve two Series 3 watches and neither will complete the update process for 8.7.1.

The watches get stuck while “checking for updates” and the associated phones get stuck “preparing”.

I’ve tried all the forced-restarts and factory-resets. Nothing works.

-Ryan

Similar questions

73 replies

Oct 20, 2022 5:35 PM in response to sammi294

Hey there Sammi,

While you mentioned trying some of the steps listed here, we recommend trying them all as it addresses the error message you described: If you see 'Unable to Verify Update' when updating Apple Watch

If you still have an issue afterwards, we recommend letting Apple Support know what's been tried as they'll be in the best position to assist further with this: Get Support

Cheers.

Jan 24, 2023 1:02 AM in response to Hollajianli

A few people have had some luck, another one is a a couple of posts above yours. Most though just can’t. Best thing you can do is to recoup some money while you still can . I told my daughter to get rid of hers asap while people are actually still buying them. She got $121 for it on marketplace. She had lucked out and installed the update so the buyer at least did get one that doesn’t have to go through this headache. The watch is old now. I’m sorry. See: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support so you can remove Activation lock first

Oct 24, 2022 7:16 AM in response to alivka

I have the same issue, after multiple unsuccessful attempts:

• Tried updating with 3 different iPhones running iOS 16.0.3 (iPhone XR, 12 Pro, 8S) as well as with an iPhone SE running iOS 15.5
  • Apple Watch was reset between attempts, watch app was reinstalled multiple times, I have also tried relogging into iCloud.
  • Tried changing router frequency from 5GHz to 2.4 GHz
  • Cellular data turned on and off
  • Tried leaving iPhone next to the watch overnight while it was ‘Preparing…’
  • Tried changing language and region of the watch before updating

Basically each attempt starts with downloading the 1 Gb update, then I get the error message ‘Unable to verify update - you are not connected to internet’. Then I press ‘Open app’ - since the only other option is to cancel the update. The installer downloads the update again, then jumps to ‘preparing…’ which never finishes.

I would be most honored to see an official response from Apple that they know of the problem and working on it, or even that they do not plan on fixing it. Anything certain, really…

Nov 1, 2022 10:56 AM in response to sammi294

Apple Watch Series 3 Update to 8.7.1 impossible for some users. I guess Apple is well aware of the problem, however there seems to be no solution addressed yet.

My Apple watch is on watch OS 6.3 and currently not paired to any phone, so I face all the problem when I want to pair it with a phone. Whatever I tried, the problem goes on, I download the update file (1.3 GB), it finishes before the progress bar reaches to the end, than the watch starts to reboot itself continuously, so there is no progress achieved for preparing stage at all. Even if you end the update at the phone end, or you hard reset the watch, the rebooting of the watch continues till you eventually have to reset the watch to its factory settings.

At the beginning, almost all the series 3 users faced the problem, however it seems out that some fellows managed to get their watches updated in time with different solutions (or in fact with no solution but by some actions taken at Apple's end i.e. revising the update file, but people think that it is finally due to what they had done). So I get the idea, that user specific details decide whether the update is successful or not. Therefore I'd like to put my specific details hereby, so it might be helpful to address the problem more precisely. Sometimes the rebooting problem even starts during downloading of update file.

• As mentioned, my watch is on watch OS 6.3, not paired to any phone. The update file is from 6.3 to 8.7.1 with 1.3 GB of
  • My Iphone is 11, tried updating both with ios 16.0 and 16.1. I also tried with various different Iphones (Iphone 10 16.1 and 15.7.1, Iphone 13 with ios 15.7, also some other older phones with older ios systems) but no luck
  • My region is Turkey, language is Turkish. Tried with UK, US, Germany location and corresponding languages, always the same
  • I tried all possible variations of Iphone and Apple Watch on and off charging
  • I tried all other recommendations for updating in various web sites and forums, still same
  • I only did not give a try to drain the battery entirely and wait for further 48-72 hours recommendation yet

I spoke to Apple Turkey Customer Support, they could not say anything. I arranged a service appointment from Apple service, but I am not sure whether they can and/or will update the watch. It is getting really very annoying, it might be solved at the end, but I shouldn't be wasting my time and stay sleepless trying to solve the mess caused by Apple. I hope they will be able to sort this out for all users for good causing no more hassle.

Oct 28, 2022 10:17 AM in response to mochiko12

So many people have exact same issue. Do you think Apple make it on purpose to force users to buy new watch? But still many people are able to update their watches.

What decide whether you can or cannot get update? Manufacture date?

I bought mine in December 2019. It was manufactured in October 2019. What about your watches, guys?

Feb 7, 2023 1:58 AM in response to ktruty17

I finally got my Apple Watch Series 3 fixed, but I had to call in and argue with them that it was their fault and that I wasn’t going to to pay for something that they broke to be repaired. After going round in circles for an hour I asked to speak to a senior advisor which finally said they would fix it without charge.

My watch was out of warranty but it is their fault.

I got my watch back three days later working fine after a simple OS reinstall.

Oct 22, 2022 4:34 AM in response to sammi294

Apple support has been telling me this is a known issue with the series 3. Only solutions offered are waiting 72-96 hours for an alleged update that is in the works or taking it to an Apple Store where they can update the os manually. I’m skeptical but this is what phone support has told me on two separate occasions since last Thursday (Oct 13). Since I’m 2+ hours from the closest Apple Store I’m stuck with no watch while waiting for a purported update. I guess I’ll see what happens on Monday when iOS 16.1 drops.

watch OS won’t update to 8.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.