Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bypass Charging

Does iPad Air 5, M1 2022 have bypass charging? I'm about to buy one and planning to use it as a second monitor for my laptop and it requires plugging an iPad in most of the time. So I want to know if the iPad Air 5 can entirely bypass the battery when it is completely charging and only use the power source from the charger just like most laptops these days when they will not consume the power from the battery when the charger is plugged in. Thank you.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 3:40 AM

All iPads, regardless of model, will charge the internal battery when connected to a compatible external USB power source via its USB-C or Lightning connector.

If the iPad battery is fully charged, if power needs are fully met by the external source of power, the internal battery will simply be maintained while the device itself is effectively being powered from the connected Power Adapter or computer.

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

You may need to verify the specifications of the source USB (USB-C?) port to which you intend to connect your iPad. If the source cannot provide sufficient power, the iPad will invariably draw additional power from its battery to maintain operation.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2022 3:40 AM in response to HuuTrien

All iPads, regardless of model, will charge the internal battery when connected to a compatible external USB power source via its USB-C or Lightning connector.

If the iPad battery is fully charged, if power needs are fully met by the external source of power, the internal battery will simply be maintained while the device itself is effectively being powered from the connected Power Adapter or computer.

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

You may need to verify the specifications of the source USB (USB-C?) port to which you intend to connect your iPad. If the source cannot provide sufficient power, the iPad will invariably draw additional power from its battery to maintain operation.

Bypass Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.