Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Puzzle piece in Safari URL bar even when extensions are off on iPad

Recently I noticed the extensions puzzle piece in my Safari bar on iPad but the only extension I have is off. It goes away if I delete the app the extension belongs to but comes back when I reinstall it. This seems like a bug. I don’t have this problem on other devices and from what I read it should only appear when at least one extension is on.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 6:57 AM

3 replies

Oct 20, 2022 7:52 AM in response to 6510

The behaviour that you describe is as expected.

For iPadOS, if App extensions are installed on the device, the puzzle-piece icon will appear within the Safari Address Bar; if the associated extension has been enabled, an additional icon may appear - as shown here:

The behaviour in iOS for iPhone appears to differ - in that the puzzle-piece icon is only visible if an installed extension has been enabled:

In this example, for the identical Safari extension, the “JS” (JavaScript) icon is not seen.

Whether or not this is a bug, or by design of the two different (but related) User Interfaces is unknown - but has been consistent throughout the iOS/iPadOS15 lifecycle.

Puzzle piece in Safari URL bar even when extensions are off on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.